Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Which way do you write your homework?

Which way do you write your homework?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Which way do you write your homework?

Postby TheEnglishKnitter » Fri 02.03.2012 6:22 am

Do you go top to bottom or left to right?
I'm loving my evening class and enjoying the homework. The teacher doesn't have a specific preference so long as we complete the sentences. I'm trying to use as much kanji intermixed with my kana as possible. I just wondered what everyone else did.
In my Japanese Grazia magazine there seems to be no preference either.
It feels odd to me going top to bottom, but kinda fun too.
What does everyone else do?

This is obviously not the key question of the day, its a dreamy, vague 'I wonder' type discussion. As you can see I have selected the priority reading of the minute in the Grazia translation!
TEK
TheEnglishKnitter

Native language: English

Re: Which way do you write your homework?

Postby furrykef » Fri 02.03.2012 8:02 pm

I've never had a Japanese class, so I've never had to deal with this question exactly. But when practicing hiragana and katakana I usually wrote vertically.

If I were taking a class, it'd depend on what kind of paper I used. If I used standard notebook paper, I'd write horizontally; if I used completely blank paper, I'm not entirely sure.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby phreadom » Fri 02.03.2012 8:12 pm

Any particular reason you practiced vertically? I've been doing all my Heisig drills horizontally in a notebook. It didn't occur to me to practice vertically (and wouldn't have short of some paper specifically made for it, or some direction telling me to.)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Fri 02.03.2012 9:13 pm

When I took a class, most of my homework I did horizontally but essays I did in vertical writing. I do prefer vertical reading and writing, mostly for the aesthetics, I suppose. Since books are printed in vertical writing, there might be some practical advantage to being familiar with the look of it before trying to read your first novel or history.

I have a pdf for 'special paper' 原稿用紙(げんこうようし)from
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/genkoyoushi/
(and don't try to remember the name of the paper by the misspelled romaji in the URL or you'll be off by a vowel.)

If you do a web search you can find a few other free PDFs but that's the most plain and basic one I found. I haven't ever been bothered enough by the attribution at the bottom of the page to make my own file, but it wouldn't be hard.

Anyway, I use vertical writing for Heisig reviews, and now and then for other bits and pieces of study. Still, if I print something out from the computer it's pretty much always in horizontal writing, and whenever I'm writing alternately in English and in Japanese (like notes about meanings of words or phrases), horizontal writing is more natural, which adds up to most of my study being horizontal writing. I don't really have a lot of reason to write in pure Japanese other than simply practicing the writing of characters.
SomeCallMeChris

Postby TheEnglishKnitter » Sat 02.04.2012 4:24 am

Thats brilliant. I hadn't even thought there might be special paper.
I haven't used paper with horizontal lines for years, I just have notebooks with blank pages. I like the freedom of being able to write or draw or link with arrows or mind map where needed.
TEK
TheEnglishKnitter

Postby phreadom » Sat 02.04.2012 10:56 am

Ah, thanks for the link! Now I just need a new printer. ;)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Return to General off topic