Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - REDEMption (gackt) TRAnslation progress!!

REDEMption (gackt) TRAnslation progress!!

Do you have a translation question?

REDEMption (gackt) TRAnslation progress!!

Postby damkay » Sat 02.04.2012 12:12 pm

Hi guys i been trying to translate this song of GACKT, i learned a lot of english just singing and studying songs, so pls help me out with this:
this is what i got:

Namida ga kareru made zutto mitsumete ita
and this is the translation:
I watched it for the longest time, until my tears dried up.

BUT!!... i don't understand how exatly this is formed i mean:

tears(subject of topyc) dried up(wither,die) until for long time ____________ ( this last part i know mite is to watch but how is this????)
damkay

Native language: espanish

Re: REDEMption (gackt) TRAnslation progress!!

Postby LordOfTheFlies » Sat 02.04.2012 5:17 pm

涙(なみだ)が枯れる(かれる)までずっと見つめていた(みつめていた)

Let's break it up into different words
涙(なみだ) = tears
枯れる(かれる) = to try
まで = until
ずっと = the whole time, always
見つめる(みつめる) = to fix one's eyes on

I see you've understood the part until みつめていた. Basically it's the verb みつめる in the continuative form みつめている, in its past form みつめていた, basically it means that the person watched the tears for a period of time. The ~ている form means that someone is doing something for a prolonged period of time, not just momentarily. It can also mean that someone does something as a habit, or is doing something right at a certain moment but let's skip that part for now.

So I would translate it into, "I kept watching him/her until her/his tears dried."

I would recommend you to read up about ~ている on Tae Kim's guide which you can find here.
LordOfTheFlies

Native language: Swedish

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Sat 02.04.2012 5:42 pm

So that romaji is almost certainly meaning this,

涙が枯れるまでずっと見詰めていた

The first expression seems a little odd to me especially if someone says it means 'until the tears are dry', so I go to alc.co.jp and get what is likely a better meaning for the expression:

涙が枯れるまで泣く
cry until no tears are left

So, the first part is just a time expression meaning 'Until I have no tears left' (assuming the line is in a first-person point of view, because I didn't check the context of the song.)

ずっと generally means 'the whole time' or 'all the while' when it follows a time expression. So 'The whole time until no tears were left ... '

And that just leaves the verb 見詰める(みつめる)conjugated into a past enduring-state. If we look that up in the dictionary we even find that the first example sentence has the same conjugation,
http://dic.yahoo.co.jp/dsearch?p=%E3%81 ... =0&dtype=3

So we can possibly consider this to be 'was watching intently' ... although the dictionary example is じっとみつめていた, which means it has a modifier to make it more steady and unblinking than this song line, but still, the basic definition is to gaze/watch/stare in a focused way. I'd go ahead and go with 'was watching intently.'
'I watched intently for the whole time until I had no tears left.'

Sounds sort of odd when translated literally, so we might make it more natural with,
'I watched and watched as I cried, until I had no tears left.'

(The 'ずっと' seems to pretty obviously be talking about 'the entire duration of crying' even though the verb 'to cry' didn't show up. Maybe it was in the previous line or just left implied since there's なみだ already to make it clear what's happening.)

Of course, it then probably needs one more rewrite in the context of the song as a whole to make it poetic.

(Sniped! But we emphasized different parts in our answers so I'll just leave it.)
SomeCallMeChris

Native language: English

Postby LordOfTheFlies » Sat 02.04.2012 9:01 pm

I wasn't aware that it was an idiomatic expression. Thanks for the elaboration Chris!
LordOfTheFlies

Native language: Swedish

Postby phreadom » Sun 02.05.2012 4:05 pm

If it helps, this appears to be the first 2 verses of the song... (with the line in question underlined.)

Shizuka ni sora ni kaeru anata no sugata wo
(what else can I do besides avenge you?)
Namida ga kareru made zutto mitsumete ita
Afureru kanashimi wa kese nai kizuato ni
Wasure wa shinai to chikatta

Oreta tsubasa o habatakase
Subete o keshite mise you
Itsu no hi ka owari o mukaeru
Saigo no kane ga nari yamu made
(you told me to live as if you were to die tomorrow; feel as if you were to be reborn now breathe as if you were to live forever)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby damkay » Mon 02.06.2012 1:59 pm

Thanks to all for your help :)

i will continue the reading of that Japanese grammar guide, Lord of the flies recommended, that is the one i have been studying all the time, but haven't got to that part of the verbs explanation, any way, i think i have understand you all...THATs good news!! XD, but the resources Chris recommended are too High grade for me now XD.

does this page: http://www.alc.co.jp has something like romanized, hiragana/katakana or ENglish ???. thats all i can read for now :colonthree:
damkay

Native language: espanish

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Mon 02.06.2012 3:53 pm

No, but http://tatoeba.org is another good set of example sentences and they have furigana sentences.

And, of course, if you use the rikai-chan plugin for firefox, you can mouse over any japanese word and get the reading(s) and definition(s).

Rikai-chan doesn't know anything about context and just pulls up all sorts of possibilities from EDICT, so the results can be confusing or misleading sometimes. It's still a useful tool and may make it easier to read a dictionary entry that doesn't have furigana and such.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... rikaichan/
SomeCallMeChris

Native language: English

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion