Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Best Textbooks/books to be proficient in Japanese

Best Textbooks/books to be proficient in Japanese

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Best Textbooks/books to be proficient in Japanese

Postby flyffmex » Tue 02.14.2012 9:26 pm

I recently got enough money to buy a lot of textbooks (300$+) and i was wondering what textbooks would work best for me. Iv'e used the lessons here to learn all hiragana and most katakana but i would like reading material and practice to freshen up my memory and skill in writing them. I don't get bored of grinding that easily and am committed to learning Japanese so hardcore/hard text books would work for me ( gotta get my moneys worth ya know D: ) So yea the titles of the books and the provider would be nice ( If they are sold at the http://www.thejapanshop.com/ that would be great tho :O )
flyffmex

Native language: English

Re: Best Textbooks/books to be proficient in Japanese

Postby phreadom » Tue 02.14.2012 10:22 pm

Welcome to TJP! :D

I know some of the more popular textbooks are the Genki series, Japanese For Everyone, Minna no Nihongo, etc. I'll let some of the more proficient learners/speakers pipe in with their opinions on the matter.

(I've also switched your "native language" profile setting as I'm pretty sure you don't speak Japanese natively if you're here asking for information on textbooks to learn Japanese.) ;)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Tue 02.14.2012 10:27 pm

I would generally recommend Heisig's Remembering the Kanji (volume 1), and the Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar (and if you want to get ahead, the Intermediate and Advanced.) I also find a electronic dictionary immensely valuable, but that would take up $200 of your $300 right there, and if you have 24/7 internet access it's not as important (as long as you don't mind being tethered to the internet even when you're reading paper books.)

Oh, yes - I used an old edition of Japanese for Everyone and didn't like it; I don't know if the new edition is any better. Genki sounds good but I didn't actually use it so I don't know.
SomeCallMeChris

Native language: English

Postby phreadom » Tue 02.14.2012 11:11 pm

I wrote up a review of Japanese for Everyone and Genki (first edition) volume 1.

http://thejapanesepage.com/forum/viewto ... 15&t=14983

It should give you a bit of an idea... but nothing like getting your hands on it unfortunately. :sweatdrop:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips