Help please.. getting employed in japan.. jobs??

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture
BlueNight

Help please.. getting employed in japan.. jobs??

Post by BlueNight » Mon 12.26.2005 8:16 pm

Peace, one love! Happy Holidays, everyone.

I started attending Japanese class 4 years ago but dropped it after two years. So I am not speaking fluent, to say the least. If I started studdying again, I wonder what type of work I could get (in Japan or not..). There's lot of trade between Westerners and the Japanese, so I could act as a translator. But don't most Japanese youth already speak English? What type of job needs a 22-26 y/o American? And I know, there's thousands upon thousands of different careers even in my home country. So I won't learn the language only to serve bergers at a Japanese McD's. Well, I hope someone might give me some advice. I do desire to learn a second language, even if just for pleasure. Without a college degree, it's probably even harder to find a good career in Japan, right?

chiisu321

RE: Help please.. getting employed in japan.. jobs??

Post by chiisu321 » Tue 08.08.2006 10:08 pm

without a degree, unless you are attending school in Japan (I.S.), it's impossible.

Shibakoen

Post by Shibakoen » Tue 08.08.2006 10:17 pm

You definitely won't get a visa if you're going to flip burgers, and I guess teaching English is out... For IT and Financial Services jobs you'll probably need at least a few years of professional experience before anybody will look at you.

Schattenjedi

Post by Schattenjedi » Tue 08.08.2006 10:51 pm

BlueNight wrote:
But don't most Japanese youth already speak English?
No...not really.