Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Help please.. getting employed in japan.. jobs??

Help please.. getting employed in japan.. jobs??

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Help please.. getting employed in japan.. jobs??

Postby BlueNight » Mon 12.26.2005 8:16 pm

Peace, one love! Happy Holidays, everyone.

I started attending Japanese class 4 years ago but dropped it after two years. So I am not speaking fluent, to say the least. If I started studdying again, I wonder what type of work I could get (in Japan or not..). There's lot of trade between Westerners and the Japanese, so I could act as a translator. But don't most Japanese youth already speak English? What type of job needs a 22-26 y/o American? And I know, there's thousands upon thousands of different careers even in my home country. So I won't learn the language only to serve bergers at a Japanese McD's. Well, I hope someone might give me some advice. I do desire to learn a second language, even if just for pleasure. Without a college degree, it's probably even harder to find a good career in Japan, right?
BlueNight

RE: Help please.. getting employed in japan.. jobs??

Postby chiisu321 » Tue 08.08.2006 10:08 pm

without a degree, unless you are attending school in Japan (I.S.), it's impossible.
chiisu321

Postby Shibakoen » Tue 08.08.2006 10:17 pm

You definitely won't get a visa if you're going to flip burgers, and I guess teaching English is out... For IT and Financial Services jobs you'll probably need at least a few years of professional experience before anybody will look at you.
Shibakoen

Postby Schattenjedi » Tue 08.08.2006 10:51 pm

BlueNight wrote:
But don't most Japanese youth already speak English?

No...not really.
Schattenjedi

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan