Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What textbook to use next?

What textbook to use next?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

What textbook to use next?

Postby RichMusic81 » Wed 03.14.2012 3:36 pm

Hi all, new here, joined today!

I began learning Japanese on January 1st this year. I've been studying for an hour a day since. At the time I knew little about it and went out and bought the only book I could find which was Berlitz Japanese in 30 days. I quickly came to realise that this wasn't the best study book, being entirely in romaji with very little emphasis on Kana. Despite that, I would recommend it as a taster for someone thinking of learning Japanese.
Anyway, I worked through it and completed it (in 30 days), while at the same time researching other textbooks to use and practising my kana using the James Heisig book. I also browsed through a few books on grammar etc.
Since the first week of February I've been working through Japanese for Busy People 1 3rd Edition, Kana Version, and am nearing completion. I am doing an hour a day supplemented by general revision from other sources (such as this website).
So, my question is, where do I go next? I'm going to take a week or two after JFBP for revising what I've learnt (vocabulary, grammar, sentence structure etc), but what textbook do you recommend I follow it with? I've read that JFBP 2 is not as favoured as 1 or 3, but should I carry on with them or learn from a variety of sources?
I have Genki 1 here already but despite my passion for the language and for learning it, I am worried that I may become bored with sticking to the same textbook for many months, so I think the best thing for me to do would be to supplement it with something else. Any ideas as to what to supplement it with? I don't mind redoing what I've already learnt if it helps to solidify everything before moving on.

Thanks, look forward to hearing from you all and am happy to be part of this forum.

Rich.
RichMusic81

Native language: English

Re: What textbook to use next?

Postby Shiroisan » Wed 03.14.2012 10:34 pm

Ouch. JFBP is "for busy people" alone for a reason, but at least you got the kana version which is a start.

JFBP1 will have left you with many gaps in the most basic fundamental rules of Japanese that people who are just starting out should have learnt from the get go. However, it's great to hear that you got Genki 1. That should fix everything if you diligently go through genki 1. Is it the second edition?

I'd recommend both genki 1 and genki 2, second editions.
:dance: You don't need supplementary material now that you're using a real textbook.

P.S., you will notice that some of the terms you learnt in JFBP will have very different definitions in Genki. This is because the JFBP textbook uses very inaccurate translations that are only good for the context it was just used in in the book. So if you ever come across a difference in what you learned, GO WITH THE GENKI DEFINITION! It will save you heaps of trouble later, I promise!
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby RichMusic81 » Wed 03.14.2012 11:02 pm

Thanks for the reply. I think you've convinced me enough to go with Genki.
I have been aware though working through JFBP that it doesn't cover a lot of fundamentals hence my supplementing it with books on grammar, websites, dictionaries etc. As I said, I'm happy, as a beginner to go back to basics to reinforce everything and making sure I'm doing things right.
Thanks again
RichMusic81

Postby berean_315 » Thu 03.15.2012 4:00 pm

I would also look at Japanese for Everyone. Good dialogues, examples and exercises.
berean_315

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips