Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - スカイクラロnovel series by MORI Hiroshi

スカイクラロnovel series by MORI Hiroshi

Discussions on Japan's history or Japanese books!

スカイクラロnovel series by MORI Hiroshi

Postby SakeIt2Me » Fri 03.16.2012 11:38 am

Ohayou. I haven't totally gone off and vanished, but my studies have really slowed to nothing the last few months.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sky_Crawlers
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%80%8C%E3%82 ... 04&sr=1-12
I want to know if anyone here has read the above novels in Japanese, and basically if they answer the major questions from the movie. I would like to read something more than song lyrics and I need some major motivation (a book I know I will like and that has an important message that resonates with me) if I'm going to read it. This is the sort of story that would not bother me taking a year to read due to researching most of the kanji, I will do it.

Could you tell me if the novel (or the light novels, I'm not sure how many versions there are of these novels) answer the big questions (I don't want to give them away if none have seen the movie) or do they only give more background and detail to the story? I'd love to hear your opinions on it.

どもありがとうございます。
Maybe I will meet you one day, maybe Wednesday, maybe not...not
SakeIt2Me

Native language: English

Re: スカイクラロnovel series by MORI Hiroshi

Postby SakeIt2Me » Mon 03.19.2012 12:36 pm

Well, no comments.
This means I am going ahead and buying the first volume he published, even though it was to be the last in the series, and the first version, illustrated by Kenji Tsurata. Because, when I first watched the movie, maybe the second shot in the credits, read "based on the novel by MORI Hiroshi", and I thought, if this is any good, than the novel must be incredible. Since that has been a consistent experience of mine watching movies-based-on-books. And then, by the end of the movie, I thought, I must read this novel.
But it is not translated into English, and although I could read it en francais, what is the point of that if there is any chance I could read it as it was intended, in its original language, in its first version, before the manga/anime culture grasped it?

So I'm going to be busy reading this and I'm sure I'll let you know what I thought of it. Here's a small teaser from its prologue, if you care.
http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index ... 1:prologue
Perhaps you've noticed, I am rather passionate about books...:D
SakeIt2Me

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Mon 03.19.2012 1:39 pm

I haven't seen the movie or read the book, nor do I really know what it's even about, but if it's all that good I may have to look into it.

However, I do want to mention that someone on one or another learning forum had suggested the following approach to reading novels in Japanese: When you get the book, work out what 15% of the book will be. For that first 15% of the book, go over it with a fine toothed comb, and add every grammar point and vocabulary word to Anki (or your favorite SRS as the case may be).

Because authors tend to write in a 'voice' or a 'style', using the same structures and words repeatedly you should now be armed with well-above 90% comprehension for the remainder of the book on only rarely have to look up anything else - you'll have few new words and a good portion of those should be possible to understand simply from context.

I'm trying this with 狼と香辛料 at the moment (although what's 15% in this case... ? Of the first book or the series... ? I'm going through the first two chapters closely anyway, although I have to admit I have two bookmarks having read ahead a bit when I wasn't in the mood to muck with anki :O) I like the theory and the results of my haphazard implementation of it, anyway.
SomeCallMeChris

Postby SakeIt2Me » Mon 03.19.2012 6:27 pm

Thanks, that sounds like excellent advice. I'll definitely be combing through it carefully! If I manage the first volume well and it's as good as I hope it is, I'll carry on to the rest of the series. They're classed as light novels so I hope it won't be particularly far over my head. Time will tell.

I *think* this book would be great for science fiction/philosophy fans, at least I'm hoping so. I found the characters and dilemmas brought up/implied by the movie to be quite compelling and hope that the novels expand more upon the topic.

To try and describe the story a bit without giving it all away:
In a sort of alternate future, war is staged away from cities and population, to give citizens the illusion of peace. "Real lives have to be lost" for this to work, and an accidental invention of people that do not age have become the ones that fight this war.
So, if one cannot die unless they are slain, how do they find meaning in their life? And so on. The hollowness of even our modern society is commented on. The real crux of it is what happens to them after they are killed, but I can't just give that away. At the heart of the movie was a complex romance which raised questions never really answered.

I guess that makes it a science fiction war romance?
SakeIt2Me

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Mon 03.19.2012 9:44 pm

Hmm.... I'd probably either love it or hate it.... unfortunately there's a danger I'd love the first half and -then- hate it, heh. It drives me crazy when a carefully constructed alternate world has logical holes large enough to drive a fleet of trucks through...

The climactic chapters at the end of Death Note had me ready to throw the whole set of manga out the window, but they did patch that up with the conversations in the last chapter so I didn't. But then, the author set expectations awfully high by making it the ultimate battle of wits between geniuses... I'm not so picky on characters making mistakes when they aren't billed as perfect ;)

Anyway, I've been a lifelong science fiction and fantasy fan, so I may have to give the スカイクラロ series a try, it sounds like it's got potential at least.
SomeCallMeChris

Return to History and Literature Discussions