View topic - イタリア料理を食べに行きませんか

イタリア料理を食べに行きませんか

Do you have a translation question?

イタリア料理を食べに行きませんか

Postby damkay » Mon 03.26.2012 12:03 pm

well this question is translated as:
Go to eat Italian food?

shouldn't be:

don't (we,I,he, etc) go to eat Italian food ?
damkay

Native language: espanish

Re: イタリア料理を食べに行きませんか

Postby lortimer » Mon 03.26.2012 1:01 pm

食べに行きませんか is more like the english phrase "why don't we go eat" so thats why the verb is negative.

other examples would be like 映画館に行きませんか why dont we go to the theatre、or
コーヒーを作りませんか why dont we/you make some coffee etc. it's a polite way to suggest something.
lortimer

Native language: English

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Mon 03.26.2012 1:11 pm

Are you reading Tae Kim's guide? That looks like his translation style, which is extremely literal to the point of being both unnatural and ungrammatical English.

The point of that translation is that the question is actually a positive one. It's asking if the listener will agree to go eat Italian food. It is not actually asking if the listener will agree to -not- go eat Italian food.

More simply, it's saying 'Let's eat Italian' not 'Are you avoiding Italian food?'

The natural translation would be (as lortimer posted while I was writing, but I'll repeat it anyway) 'Why don't we go to an Italian restaurant?'

Obviously this natural translation has several points where it does not have a literal equivalent in the Japanese sentence.
SomeCallMeChris

Native language: English

Postby damkay » Tue 03.27.2012 1:00 pm

Yeah tae kim's guide, :D ,the question is why don't we go to eat Italian? excellent i write it wrong the first time, but it that was what i was thinking :P , thx for the complete explanation guys, i will go on studying.
damkay

Native language: espanish

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion