Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese pratice

Japanese pratice

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Japanese pratice

Postby Joey 鷹 Vega » Sun 01.29.2012 7:45 pm

Please correct my mistakes :bow:
ペンより鉛筆使って便利から、鉛筆は日本語で書いて簡単だ/です。
「鷹の魂は消えないで空の中に永遠に生きる。」 "A Hawk's spirit never dies, for it lives on forever in the sky"
-Joey Vega
Joey 鷹 Vega

Native language: Spanish

Re: Japanese pratice

Postby phreadom » Mon 01.30.2012 1:25 pm

Since Kris is too lazy to write it here... I'll copy/paste so that others can see. ^_^

LordOfTheFlies wrote:LordOfTheFlies: ペンより鉛筆使って便利から、鉛筆は日本語で書いて簡単だ/です。
LordOfTheFlies: Are you talking about that sentence?
LordOfTheFlies: 日本語で書くときは、ペンより鉛筆の方が使いやすいです。
LordOfTheFlies: Is what I would say

LordOfTheFlies: I'd say 日本語を書くときは、ペンより鉛筆の方が使いやすいです。
LordOfTheFlies: or 日本語で書くときは、ペンより鉛筆の方が使いやすいです。

He can elaborate if he wishes. :P
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Joey 鷹 Vega » Sat 02.25.2012 1:13 pm

I've tried translating from what I wrote from Spanish to Japanese but I'll post it in English so that every can understand what I wrote in Spanish.

Yo empecé aprendiendo Español en Febrero. Apenas sabiendo todos los vocabularios de Español. No se cuánto tarde para terminar de los dos idiomas. Pensar que va a tomar probablemente hasta ocho años sólo para acostumbrarse de los idiomas. Pero el idioma Japonés va a tomar más tiempo que el Español porque la gramática Japonés tene más reglas importantes de cómo hablar.

here's the English:
I have started learning Spanish on February. I've barely knowing all of the Spanish vocabularies. I think that it will probably take about 8 years just to get accustomed of the two languages. But, the Japanese language will take more time than the Spanish because the Japanese grammar have a lot important rules of how to speak.

and here's the Japanese. I tried my best of making it. So any mistakes I made, I would appreciate for the corrections. Again, I tried my best.

僕が二月にスペイン語を学んで始めた。 全部スペイン語の単語をやっと知っている。 二つの言語のどのくらいを終わるべく分かりません。 二つの言語になれるには8年かかるかもしれないと思う。 だが、スペイン語より日本語かかるから日本語文法はたくさん重要なルールがどう話しの持ちます。
「鷹の魂は消えないで空の中に永遠に生きる。」 "A Hawk's spirit never dies, for it lives on forever in the sky"
-Joey Vega
Joey 鷹 Vega

Postby Ongakuka » Sun 02.26.2012 8:51 am

(New topic)二月からスペイン語を学始めた。(Perhaps 習う Is better?) スペイン語のほとんどの単語をやっと覚えた。 二つの言語になれるには8年かかるかもしれない。(Can't put to omou after kamoshirenai) 

I've gotta go right now sorry がんばって :D
Last edited by Ongakuka on Sun 02.26.2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Joey 鷹 Vega » Sun 02.26.2012 1:39 pm

thanks ongakuka :)
-Joey Vega
Joey 鷹 Vega

Postby Joey 鷹 Vega » Sat 03.03.2012 11:14 am

何か甘いものの匂いを嗅ぐ。
-Joey Vega
Joey 鷹 Vega

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Sun 03.04.2012 9:53 pm

Joey 鷹 Vega wrote:何か甘いものの匂いを嗅ぐ。

"I will sniff at the aroma of something sweet"? Or is that meant to be なんか rather than なにか, I suppose, "I will sniff at the aroma of something that is somehow sweet" ...

Anyway, I think you want
甘い匂いがする
Literally "There is a sweet smell", but effectively "I smell something sweet."
If you want to explicitly include the 'something', then perhaps
甘いもののいい匂いがする
"There is the pleasant aroma of something sweet".
(But I'm not entirely confident this second sentence is fully natural.)

プログレッシブ includes examples of 匂い using both がする and 嗅ぐ
http://dic.yahoo.co.jp/dsearch?p=%E5%8C ... =0&dtype=3
SomeCallMeChris

Native language: English

Postby Joey 鷹 Vega » Mon 03.05.2012 9:55 am

well I was close, but Thanks anyways :)
-Joey Vega
Joey 鷹 Vega

Postby Joey 鷹 Vega » Wed 03.07.2012 1:34 pm

just a couple of simple Japanese sentences I made and of course had some help with them. I know I used 僕 (ぼく) a lot in the sentences for "I" and I know I can use the other pronouns for "I" in Japanese (male pronouns) but for now, I would use 僕. Please go ahead and correct my mistakes.

僕は幾らかの猫を見えた/見えました。 I saw some cats.
僕が馬に乗った/乗りました。 I rode on a horse.
男の子は泣いている/泣いています。 The boy is crying.
僕泣いてはじめた/はじめました。 I started to cry.
男の子は女の子を打った/打ちました。 The boy hit the girl.
女の子は男の子に打たれた/打たれました。 The girl was hit by the boy.
どこに行ったか/行きましたか。 Where did you go?
何をしたか/したましたか。 What did you do?
僕の腕が痛みはじめた。 My arm started to hurt.
僕の腕が痛みだった。 My arm started to hurt
女は男をキスした。 The woman kissed the man.
光は明るいです。 The light is bright.
僕を受賞した/しました。 I won a prize.
スープは熱いです。 The soup is hot. (non-Japanese soup)
割下は熱いです。 The soup is hot.
僕の足から血が出たことを気づけた。I've noticed blood coming from my leg/foot.
手を洗いなさい。 Wash your hands.
子供達が遊んでいた/いました。 The children were playing.
子供達が走っていた。 The children were running.
靴を拭きなさい。 Whip your shoes.
それは靴です。Those are shoes.
僕は葡萄がすきだ。 I like grapes.
僕の手首を傷ついた。 I hurt my wrist.
僕はサイレンが聞こえる。 I can hear sirens.
僕の足から血が見えた I saw blood from my leg.
私たちが活躍した。 We did an activity.
-Joey Vega
Joey 鷹 Vega

Postby BlueKojiro » Tue 03.27.2012 10:42 pm

僕は幾らかの猫を見えた/見えました。 I saw some cats. --> First of all, 幾らか is an adverb, so you can't attach の to it. It directly modifies the verb, so you just stick it anywhere before the verb. It's also usually written in plain kana. Second, 見える does not mean "to see." It means "to be visible." E.g. : 私が見えるか? (Can you see me? Or literally, Can I be seen?). The word you want is the simple 見る. So it would either be 見た Or 見ました.

僕が馬に乗った/乗りました。 I rode on a horse. ーー> I'm not sure why you used が instead of は there. Either way, it gives the sentence a different tone than the は does.

男の子は泣いている/泣いています。 The boy is crying. ーー> Yeah, this one's pretty solid all around. If anything you could always spruce it up by using more imaginative vocabulary, like using 少年 or 坊や instead.

僕泣いてはじめた/はじめました。 I started to cry. --> First of all you're missing a particle after 僕, but in casual circumstances this can sometimes happen. You could also use one of two combo verbs here, the other being 出す. So it could be either 泣いてはじめた、Or 泣いて出した.

男の子は女の子を打った/打ちました。 The boy hit the girl. --> Again, nothing wrong here. For girl you could use words like 女子、Or if you really want the boy to seem sadistic you could pull out 幼女.

女の子は男の子に打たれた/打たれました。 The girl was hit by the boy. --> I'm not sure if it's a requirement to use が with an intransitive verb, but I usually see it that way, so check that one out.

どこに行ったか/行きましたか。 Where did you go? ーー> For this one, instead of a straight up question, you may want to use the interrogative particle の. Adding it to the end of a question implies that you're seeking an explanation from the person. It's very useful when phrasing a statement like a question. In English you'd say "You like Japanese food?" And depending on the tone, the person could mean that they want you to elaborate on it. In Japanese, you'll always know if someone wants you to elaborate cuz they'll use の at the end. So the sentence should look more something like this: どこに行ったの?Or どこに行ったのか?

何をしたか/したましたか。 What did you do? --> For this one, there's a huge variety of ways one can do this, but technically that's correct. Adding の couldn't hurt either. I'd suggest not relying on that one way of saying that phrase, though.

僕の腕が痛みはじめた。 My arm started to hurt. --> This one...well, I definitely know this is not how to say it. But the exact way, I'm not sure either. You could try this instead: 僕の腕が痛いようになった. That translates roughly to "It became so that my arm was in pain." Soooo....yeah.

僕の腕が痛みだった。 My arm started to hurt --> This one's incorrect. This literally translates to "My arm was a pain." If you're trying to describe a state in which your arm used to be, you first of all have to use a word that implies a state of being, and 痛み is the noun form of painful. "In pain" is expressed by the adjective 痛い (Out of many ways of saying it.) So essentially you just use the example I put above (I'm still not sure about it though.)

光は明るいです。 The light is bright. --> This sentence seems to make sense on the outside, but from what I've researched, 明るい seems to be more commonly defined in terms of someone's personality. A bright person, a cheerful person, etc. Not necessarily the intensity of a light source. For that kind of word, I'm not exactly sure which word to use, since a lot of them are taru adjectives, and I don't know how to use those yet.

僕を受賞した/しました。 I won a prize. --> Yeah, this one stood out like a sore thumb. You used を for some reason on yourself. So, this sentence basically and weirdly says "(Someone) Won me as a prize." Hehe. Sorry, I must laugh a little bit. Make sure to only use the direct object particle for a transitive verb, and only when the object is actually the object ;)

スープは熱いです。 The soup is hot. (non-Japanese soup) ーー> This one's pretty good. I'm surprised you used the version of hot that refers to objects instead of the weather. Good job ^_^

割下は熱いです。 The soup is hot. ーー> 。。。Well, this is basically just the same thing, only I don't think you would call a special sauce used to prepare boiling water pot dishes a "soup" per se ;)

僕の足から血が出たことを気づけた。I've noticed blood coming from my leg/foot. --> This one has a few errors. First off, using the past tense of 出る doesn't really make sense according to your English translation. It should be in the infinitive form (the dictionary form). Second, even using that verb is not as good as using 流れる, which means to flow, and is used often to describe liquid movements. You got こと right, but you conjugated the last verb wrong. The dictionary form is 気づく, so the past tense would be 気づいた.

手を洗いなさい。 Wash your hands. --> This one works perfectly.

子供達が遊んでいた/いました。 The children were playing. --> This one, scrap the 達. The Kanji form of the pluralizing suffix is only used in formal situations (I think) and in certain words where it's now become the norm to include even if it's referring to just one (such as 友達, which could refer to one or many friends). Your conjugation of the verb is right, though. And once again, the choice to use が instead of は is yours to make, but for a simple sentence like this with no embedded meaning, using は makes more sense.

子供達が走っていた。 The children were running. --> Same exact thing here. Correct conjugation too.

靴を拭きなさい。 Whip your shoes. --> Assuming you meant "wipe," then this is pretty accurate.

それは靴です。Those are shoes. --> 。。。I'm pretty sure this is correct, but there may be a more colloquial way of saying it...again, not sure...

僕は葡萄がすきだ。 I like grapes. --> This is correct, although I'm not sure if the kana or kanji is more popular...For grapes, I mean.

僕の手首を傷ついた。 I hurt my wrist. --> Well, this one's interesting. I know we say that we hurt ourselves, but we don't really mean that we did it on purpose. So for Japanese, we need to use the intransitive form. Essentially, you have to say "My rest became hurt." So we get that by this: ”僕の手首が傷ついた。” At least I'm pretty sure.

僕はサイレンが聞こえる。 I can hear sirens. --> Aha, so you got this one correct.

僕の足から血が見えた I saw blood from my leg. --> 。。。This sentence is just awkward. So, this means that blood was visible from your leg......I'm not even sure what that means. Either way, you may want to just pick a different sentence to form.

私たちが活躍した。 We did an activity. ーー> Depending on what you mean by "activity" this could be wrong or right. The word has more of the connotation of "playing an active role in." So, I'm not sure I should even offer a suggestion cuz this is just not a typical sentence you would ever hear.

Sorry for my longーwindedness, but there were quite a few sentences. Hope I could help, and please, if I made any mistakes, corrections are welcome. I've only been studying for six months, so I'm not nearly perfect.
BlueKojiro

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Tue 03.27.2012 11:17 pm

EDICT calls it a no-adj, 大辞林 calls it a 名詞 but either way you can attach の to いくらか. It's fine, but I would say 数匹の猫 for 'some cats'.

何をしたか/したましたか I'm sure it's a typo, but it's しました not したました.

"僕の腕が痛みだった。 My arm started to hurt"
腕の痛みを感じて始めた perhaps for 'my arm started to hurt'.
腕が痛かった is very likely good for 'My arm hurt'.

"子供達が遊んでいた。 The children were playing."
It's fine, although が is an odd stress, は is right more often. The formality of the kanji たち is irrelevant, the age of computers is rapidly changing kanji habits because they are so easy to 'write' now that it's a matter of preference.

Grapes are usually ブドウ or ぶどう (by preference) and only 葡萄 when you trust your readers to know the kanji or can provide furigana as in a magazine article or light novel (and even when you can provide furigana, you still might write ブドウ ... )

僕の足から血が見えた -> 足から血が出たことを見えた probably

私たちが活躍した。 -> This is either just wrong or says 'we were active', it doesn't say 'we did an activity'. It means 'activity' only rarely and only in the sense of 'a lot of hustle and bustle' ('The room was full of frantic activity' and such.)
SomeCallMeChris

Postby jimbreen » Wed 03.28.2012 12:26 am

BlueKojiro wrote:僕は幾らかの猫を見えた/見えました。 I saw some cats. --> First of all, 幾らか is an adverb, so you can't attach の to it.

Hmmm, leaving aside the question of whether "いくらかの猫" is an appropriate way to translate "some cats", you'll find の attached to いくらか all over the place in Japanese. 幾らかの/いくらかの gets about 4 million Google hits. The example sentences in the big 5th ed. Kenkyusha include:
箱にはまだいくらかの余裕があった. There was still a certain amount of space left in the box.
彼もそれについていくらかの責任を認めざるを得なかった. He 「was forced [had no choice but] to admit 「some [a degree of] responsibility for the matter.

The Tanaka corpus has examples such as:
彼はいくらかの情報を集めた。He collected bits of information.

As it says in 大辞林, it's both a noun and an adverb.

I've only been studying for six months, so I'm not nearly perfect.

I've been learning it on and off for 31 years, and I am very, very wary of saying you can't do/say something.

Jim
jimbreen

Postby BlueKojiro » Wed 03.28.2012 7:29 am

Ah. My bad on those accounts. My colloquial Japanese is at best quite horrible. I'd never actually heard of いくらか before, so when I looked it up it was described as an adverb, and the example sentences used it as such. I'm preparing to study Japanese in college at the moment, so I have had little to no colloquial experience. It's mostly just grammatical knowledge with a very slow going vocabulary. I'm mostly using Rosetta Stone, Tae Kim, and Genki 2nd Edition.
BlueKojiro

Postby Joey 鷹 Vega » Thu 07.05.2012 12:13 pm

変更。 と言っても単語ですが、何かこの世界が何をしたいものであると言うが。
-Joey Vega
Joey 鷹 Vega

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)