Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Looking for "brush" or "handwriting" font to make a pendant

Looking for "brush" or "handwriting" font to make a pendant

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Looking for "brush" or "handwriting" font to make a pendant

Postby 櫻~ » Mon 04.02.2012 10:22 pm

Hi nice ppl!

I found someone that makes kanji pendants. He has the standard ones for Chinese horoscope, love, peace and some more, but I asked and he can make customs, if I provide an accurate model of it. I want Sakura <3, but I yet have to find a font suitable to base the pendant on. It's not the kanji engraved on a metal plate, it's a "cut out" form, like this

ImageImage

What font should I use to take a model of the kanji? It's some kind of handwriting with brush, but I don't know exactly <_<

Searching around I found this image by chance, it's the type I'm looking

And after getting a pack of 300 fonts (lol, 2GB) I stumbled upon a very similar one, called "グレコ Std M" (link where you can enter a sample)

That looks exactly the font I should be looking for. Any ideas what that is? I tried searching for "brush" or "handwriting" but there are gazillions of styles. It's a bit hard finding one font randomly. As it's a "cut out" pendant, strokes should be close like in the pic so I can "connect" them and make the kanji in metal.

On another note, I'm also looking for some nice "rounded", "stylized" fonts. Like the ones used in some Japanese seals I've seen (for example on the JLPT certificate, lol :mrgreen:). Any idea how the style is called? I love how it looks :3. I found a couple in the pack that had a "feeling" to it, but were quite different <_<
櫻~

Native language: Spanish, English

Re: Looking for "brush" or "handwriting" font to make a pend

Postby NileCat » Thu 04.12.2012 2:52 pm

Hi Sakura,
Sorry, I had overlooked your post.
Try and google 楷書体(かいしょたい).

NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby 櫻~ » Sun 04.15.2012 12:40 am

Thanks! And I forgot to update the thread when I found the font :P

"Square block typeface", yes, I found it the hard way. After downloading a pack of 300 Japanese fonts (2GB, lol) I stumbled upon a very similar one to the 愛 I posted, called "グレコ Std M" (link where you can enter a sample). There it says it's the "square block" (楷書体) style, like you told me.

I already sent an image of the kanji in that font as model and received the pendant a few days ago, pretty nice :3

(image looks a bit blurry)

You can see the soldering joints between the 女 and 貝, but you have to look it up close and with the light spot-on to be noticeable. It's fine for me, I asked around to others but it was always letters or names they do, in a predefined font. Not many do any kanji you ask in silver for a good price <_<
櫻~

Native language: Spanish, English

Postby NileCat » Sun 04.15.2012 4:07 am

Looks super charming! Wow! :)
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Return to Japanese General Discussion