Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Chat still not working

Chat still not working

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

Chat still not working

Postby knitguy » Tue 04.17.2012 12:42 pm

So I remember, back in the day, that the function chat worked well and was somewhat active. Eventually it was put on a different platform and it doesn't actually function, or rather, it doesn't function for me. I was wondering what can be or is being done to rectify this situation.
knitguy

Native language: English

Re: Chat still not working

Postby phreadom » Tue 04.17.2012 9:28 pm

Well, can you narrow down for me what you've tried in relation to joining the chat? (since there are 6 people in there chatting as I type this)

I'd be glad to get things sorted out for you if you'll give me some feedback to help me figure out the issue. :)

(eg; are you joining the webchat? are you trying to use a chat client like pandion or pidgin? etc.)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby knitguy » Tue 04.17.2012 9:31 pm

Thanks for the reply - I'm attempting to join the chat from The Japanese Page webchat page though I've also tried from a client (my preferred way) as well with no avail.
knitguy

Postby phreadom » Tue 04.17.2012 9:39 pm

Does it give you any sort of error? what happens when you put in your username and password in the chat login boxes? (Or do you even get that far?)

I'm logged into the chat right now on two different accounts... one through Pidgin, and one through the webchat. Both work fine. So it's apparently something between TJP and you. :/ Now it's a matter of trying to figure out if it's some network issue, configuration issue, software, etc. :think:

I just signed on through Pandion with a third account.

"Address:"
<yourusername>@thejapanesepage.com

"Password:"
<yourpassword>

connection settings connect to "thejapanesepage.com", and when I go to join a room it automatically detects chat.thejapanesepage.com and lists the rooms for me... I choose the lounge and I'm in chatting... all in a matter of seconds.

Which client are you trying to use?
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby knitguy » Tue 04.17.2012 9:52 pm

I'm using Digsby but on both that client and the webchat I get the error "authentication failed".
knitguy

Postby phreadom » Tue 04.17.2012 10:02 pm

knitguy wrote:I'm using Digsby but on both that client and the webchat I get the error "authentication failed".

Well, it authenticates against the forum user database... so if you somehow have a different password for the forum than the main part of the site (it does happen), then you'd need to use the forum password or you'll fail to log in.

You might also try resetting your password to see if that syncs them up and fixes the problem as well. (If not, send us a message through the contact form and I'll see about resetting your password myself.)

UPDATE: After resetting his password on both sides of the site the chat logins all worked. :D やった! :dance:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Return to Problems