Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Suffixes

Suffixes

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Suffixes

Postby HolyEyE » Wed 04.18.2012 2:40 am

Hello again,
I'm in need of a list that specifies every suffix, simply to make things easier. I'm not talking about -kun, -san, -chan, and all that. I'm reffering to something like this:

PLAIN+bekidesu ------ "should" - taberu-bekidesu >>> I should eat
PLAIN+deshō ------ "probability" - taberu-deshō >>> I'll probably eat
PLAIN+kamoshiremasen ------ "possibility" - taberu-kamoshiremasen >>> I might eat
PLAIN+hito ------ "person" - taberu-hito >>> the person who eats
PLAIN+kara ------ "because" - taberu-kara >>> because I eat
PLAIN+koto ------ "noun-maker" - taberu-koto >>> the act of eating
PLAIN+mono ------ "things" - taberu-mono >>> things to eat
PLAIN+toki ------ "time" - taberu-toki >>> when I eat

Just longer.
So if anyone has it please let me know.
HolyEyE

Native language: Hebrew

Re: Suffixes

Postby Ongakuka » Wed 04.18.2012 7:02 am

These are all correct :D but I would think of the 'I' as in brackets.

For example, if you just say 'taberu deshou' what pops into my head is someone asking someone else, 'you'll eat, right?'

As for making the list longer... I'll be frank and say I don't think it's a good idea to think of these in one big category called 'suffixes;' having said that each person has their own way of learning and I have no intention of intruding on yours. What I will say is that the closest thing I can think of that would help (again, contreversial) is Tae Kim's guide to Japanese grammar online.
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby HolyEyE » Wed 04.18.2012 10:52 pm

I copied these examples from flashcards just to show the gist of what i'm talking about, I didn't make them myself.
If there is no list that lists all of those, then I guess, like you said, it's just wrong to categorize them that way. I will just learn each one whenever I bump into it.
What makes it hard, is that I don't know which form of verbs (te, ta, plain, etc.) gets each of the other verbs as a suffix.
Thank you for your replay :)
HolyEyE

Native language: Hebrew

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Wed 04.18.2012 11:41 pm

It's actually fairly useful to categorize a lot of things that way - many Japanese grammatical components -are- suffixes and others are phrases used in a suffix-like manner. A lot of the entries in the Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar are such suffixes. And then there's the Intermediate and Advanced volumes, so... yeah... a complete list is like asking for 80% of Japanese grammar. (The remainder being prefixes, conjunctions, and particles, of course. Then again, particles are -postposition particles- so actually are again suffixes, kind of.)

Although, I would say that たべるひと stands out as one that isn't really a suffix, that's a verb modifying a noun. (Because the result is a noun clause, it makes sense to treat the noun as 'primary' and the verb as 'modifying'.)

もの, こと and とき are special words being used with that same verb modifying a noun grammar, but because of their special properties it is perhaps more useful to think of them in a suffix or postposition fashion. べき、かも、and から are all, I think, pretty clearly actual examples of postposition grammatical components.
SomeCallMeChris

Native language: English

Postby Hektor6766 » Thu 04.19.2012 12:02 am

You might check out Using Japanese: A Guide to Contemporary Usage by William McClure (ISBN 0521646146). It has several lists of prefixes and suffixes
Hektor6766

Native language: English

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems