Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Subscript Hiragana Vowels? Ex. : じゃねぇ、etc.

Subscript Hiragana Vowels? Ex. : じゃねぇ、etc.

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Subscript Hiragana Vowels? Ex. : じゃねぇ、etc.

Postby BlueKojiro » Tue 04.17.2012 9:15 pm

Okay, so, this is less of a grammar question, and more of a style question, I suppose. I've been reading through the original Japanese script of Final Fantasy VII, and I notice very frequently the use of Hiragana subscripts, but not the typical つ or the や、よ、And ゆ characters. I mean things like "じゃねぇ”、 Or ”そうですねぇ。。。”
I know that adding っ at the end of word indicates a sudden stop at the end of the word, but I have no idea what these regular vowels mean. Anyone know the proper intonation/nuance that these are supposed to give???
BlueKojiro

Native language: English

Re: Subscript Hiragana Vowels? Ex. : じゃねぇ、etc.

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Wed 04.18.2012 1:33 am

Generally small regular vowels simply indicate what would be an extended vowel when spoken, but would not be appropriate to add duplicate vowels to when written. In other words, it's trying to indicate the pronunciation without 'really' changing the spelling by using a smaller character. You can pretty much ignore them for meaning, but it helps hear the 'tone' if you are used to spoken Japanese.
SomeCallMeChris

Postby Ongakuka » Wed 04.18.2012 6:55 am

When い - ending sounds become え sounds it indicates rough, coarse Japanese (i.e how Barret speaks.)

じゃない > じゃねぇ 

遅い  > おせぇ

Or even お前 > おめえ

In such cases the え may be full size (which I perceive as more emphatic than the trailing version.)

Ironically small ぇ can also indicate a soft and agreeing (often girly or cute) kind of speech, as in your examples そうですねぇ

Finally there is Gyaru speech, which is something like ☆ぁたしがゃったんじゃなぃょ♪

I guess this is what you are referring to, if not I apologize :)
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby BlueKojiro » Wed 04.18.2012 4:47 pm

Yeah, that's basically the kind of stuff I'm talking about, though I had no idea how to read most of that last bit, including the star at the beginning of the sentence (???), or what Gyaru is for that matter ^_^
BlueKojiro

Postby furrykef » Mon 04.23.2012 11:19 pm

"Gyaru" comes from "gal" and basically means "irritating girly text-speak". :P

It's not that hard to read. The star doesn't signify anything (it's just there to be cute) and just read all of the small kana in that sentence (except the っ and the ゃ in じゃ) as if they were big.

Gyaru-speak can be much harder to read than that, though...
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby BlueKojiro » Tue 05.01.2012 8:48 am

Ah, okay. I see. Well, I'm still a little unsure of exactly how to hear that kind of reading in my head, but either way, I'm sure it'll be something one just has to get used to, or perhaps hear out loud, something like that. Thanks anyways!
BlueKojiro

Postby Shiroisan » Tue 05.01.2012 7:39 pm

What do you press to type a small character like that?
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby Asevela » Tue 05.01.2012 8:33 pm

Shift does it, though it doesn't work with all letters. I think it's only the vowels, y- letters, and tsu.
Asevela

Postby Shiroisan » Tue 05.01.2012 9:06 pm

Asevela wrote:Shift does it, though it doesn't work with all letters. I think it's only the vowels, y- letters, and tsu.

hmm I just tried and pressing shift + any letter will switch the input mode from hiragana to full-width alphanumeric... Don't know what that's about :think: .
Shiroisan

Postby jimbreen » Tue 05.01.2012 9:52 pm

Shiroisan wrote:What do you press to type a small character like that?

I don't know if it's universal, but all the input systems I have use xya, xyo, xe, etc. to put in those half-size kana.

Jim
jimbreen

Postby Asevela » Tue 05.01.2012 10:19 pm

Shiroisan wrote:hmm I just tried and pressing shift + any letter will switch the input mode from hiragana to full-width alphanumeric... Don't know what that's about :think: .

Really? I think Ive had that happen before, though not with shift. It would just randomly switch and refuse to go back to hiragana until I switched to english and back again.

jimbreen wrote:I don't know if it's universal, but all the input systems I have use xya, xyo, xe, etc. to put in those half-size kana.

This is using romaji for input, right? Did you mean that instead, Shiroisan? I can't say anything about this; I haven't used romaji for input for a long time.
Asevela

Postby Shiroisan » Wed 05.02.2012 8:59 pm

Asevela wrote:
Shiroisan wrote:hmm I just tried and pressing shift + any letter will switch the input mode from hiragana to full-width alphanumeric... Don't know what that's about :think: .

Really? I think Ive had that happen before, though not with shift. It would just randomly switch and refuse to go back to hiragana until I switched to english and back again.

jimbreen wrote:I don't know if it's universal, but all the input systems I have use xya, xyo, xe, etc. to put in those half-size kana.

This is using romaji for input, right? Did you mean that instead, Shiroisan? I can't say anything about this; I haven't used romaji for input for a long time.

oh, yes I suppose I did. You have a hiragana keyboard???
Shiroisan

Postby Asevela » Thu 05.03.2012 1:24 am

I don't think you need a special keyboard for it, at least I didn't. What I did was I went into properties, (which is on the taskbar after the JP icon, the icon you want is a big circle with some white thing on a string in the corner, it says input style if you hover over it) and changed the input method (first thing under input settings).

For the actual letters, I just painted them on with acrylic paint. Some of them are a bit tricky: ろ is on ~, ほへ are -=, ゛゜ are [] and む is on \, and all the numbers have letters. Shift will also get you the japanese quotes, period, comma, and the yen sign. I've yet to figure out the question and exclamation marks though.

Uh, this is for a PC, if you have a mac or some other system I've absolutely no idea, sorry...
Asevela

Postby richvh » Thu 05.03.2012 10:52 am

Asevela wrote:I've yet to figure out the question and exclamation marks though.

Question mark: ぎもんふ or shift-/ and go through the IME's choices to find it, exclamation point: かんたんふ or shift-1 and go through the IME's choices. This all with a US keyboard.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Shiroisan » Thu 05.03.2012 8:44 pm

Very interesting. I couldn't imagine relearning how to type. They keyboard layout has been hardwired into my brain ever since typing class as a very young child. I type 80-85 wpm, and I don't think I could give that up. :sweatdrop:
Shiroisan

Next

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems