Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 世界の町・・・

世界の町・・・

Do you have a translation question?

世界の町・・・

Postby QuakerBits » Fri 04.20.2012 10:18 pm

So, I thought I'd have more questions after finishing up genki 2, but thanks to AJATT and his SRS method and awesome words of encouragement, I've been just hanging on.

とにかく、この文章って、( I just read って can be used as a top particle for nouns, I hope I didn't miss-read that, or miss-use it! )

世界の町の中で、どこが一番好きですか。京都が一番好きです。
"Within town of the world..." "Within world's town..." ???

A bit confused how I could translate just the underlined part into working English.. It doesn't feel natural when I try to translate it, but for some reason it makes sense in jap. I think. :whistle:

Sorry if this is so simple(:
QuakerBits

Native language: 英語

Re: 世界の町・・・

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Fri 04.20.2012 10:30 pm

'Among the cities of the world, which do you like the most?'

'I like Kyoto the most.'

AJATT... eh... there are a lot of good ideas there, and a lot of bad ideas. I don't hate the site or khatz the way some people do, but I do think that you can waste an enormous amount of time reading ramblings in English that are only tenuously related to learning Japanese.

To the extent that I read the site, I'm really scanning for links to the sources of his good ideas, almost none of which are original, but, y'know, he reads a lot and he summarizes a lot of what he reads so that can be kind of helpful. Of course, when he's been reading about suicide statistics, that creates long rambling posts that are both useless and depressing.
SomeCallMeChris

Native language: English

Postby Shiroisan » Sat 04.21.2012 12:31 am

SomeCallMeChris wrote:I don't hate the site or khatz the way some people do, but I do think that you can waste an enormous amount of time reading ramblings in English that are only tenuously related to learning Japanese.

This 1000 times over!!
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby QuakerBits » Sun 04.22.2012 5:27 pm

Tanks for the translation help, that made sense to me. Dunno why I couldn't make it out myself >_<

Shiroisan wrote:
SomeCallMeChris wrote:I don't hate the site or khatz the way some people do, but I do think that you can waste an enormous amount of time reading ramblings in English that are only tenuously related to learning Japanese.

This 1000 times over!!

I agree too! It's insane how long some of those articles are. I just quickly scan recent articles for anything useful^_^
QuakerBits

Native language: 英語

Postby Hektor6766 » Sun 04.22.2012 6:52 pm

Strange how you're supposed to be all Japanese 24/7/365, but everything on the site is in English. Kind of antithetical to the approach.
I don't buy his take on grammar. Grammar, especially Japanese grammar, is logical and interesting, and it prevents you from sounding like a babbling idiot.
Hektor6766

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Sun 04.22.2012 9:53 pm

Well, it would be easier to agree with Khatz's take on grammar if he would just say 'I believe grammar should always be descriptive and not prescriptive' which is, I think, what he really means, or something close to it. 'grammar does not exist' is just a more attention-getting way to give a defiant attitude to grammar prescriptivists.

I think.

I didn't really clearly understand his opinion even after reading all the articles on grammar not existing, actually. I'm not really inclined to reread them either.
SomeCallMeChris

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion