Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Electronic Dictionary question

Electronic Dictionary question

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Electronic Dictionary question

Postby dominic » Wed 12.28.2005 1:31 am

Hello everyone! I am a serious student of Japanese, and the need for a J-E, E-J electronic dictionary is becoming much clearer as I progress!

I've been reading this site, but dictionaries seem to be organized by maker, which is not a bad way to categorize by any means, but I'm a little overwhelmed.

I have it narrowed down to these:

Canon G55
http://www.thejapanshop.net/jisho/canong55.htm

or

Canon V80
http://www.thejapanshop.net/jisho/cv80.htm

The differences in a nutshell are:

The first is cheaper and has more words / dictionaries overall, but the second gives you the ability to write unknown kanji using a lightpen.

Keep in mind that the first (Canon G55) would be perfect, if only it had the ability to handwrite unknown kanji. Is it worth trading a few thousand words for the ability to write unknown kanji? Is there a dictionary with as many words as the G55 AND handwritten input? I'd appreciate your opinions / information. Also, money should NOT be a factor when choosing a dictionary, so don't let potential high prices stop you from posting. Thanks in advance.
dominic

RE: Electronic Dictionary question

Postby IkimashoZ » Wed 12.28.2005 2:19 am

While the lightpen does sound extraordinarily fun, I'd say go for the one with the most words. My little Sharp dictionary is far more annoying when I can't find a word as opposed to having to look up a kanji. Mine contains a program where I type the number of strokes in the radical and the number of strokes total and the dictionary gives me a list of usually no more than ten kanji. Very handy. I'm sure those will have something similiar.
Ist das einen Kanji, dass ich gefunden habe??
IkimashoZ

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips