Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Compilation of Japanese programs for computer/phone

Compilation of Japanese programs for computer/phone

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Compilation of Japanese programs for computer/phone

Postby play_on_my_words » Fri 05.18.2012 10:59 pm

I felt like making a post on programs that relate to Japanese learning and the like. I spent some time into finding them, so hopefully my time spent will help others.

Computer:

Phone (Android):
  • AnkiDroid
  • E-J Dictionary by Naver - A pretty good dictionary which provides sentence examples.
  • Google Japanese IME - Same as stated above.
  • Aedict - a good dictionary however it doesn't have the most extensive dictionary. It's still good and it has a notepad like feature that is useful for storing words you've found while searching.
  • Obenkyo - an overall good tool for those interested in studying for N1-5 studies. The thing to note here is that for kanji studying it will either let you draw the kanji, recognize its meaning, or go by its reading.

Other:
  • Wakan - this program I'm not exactly sure about it seems good but I haven't given it much tinkering around but you can check it out.

Anyway this is a list of programs I've found that are pretty useful for studying Japanese. If I find new programs, I'll try to add it to the list later.
play_on_my_words

Native language: English

Re: Compilation of Japanese programs for computer/phone

Postby jimbreen » Fri 05.18.2012 11:31 pm

play_on_my_words wrote:JWPce - basically a dictionary with various ways of looking up kanji. There is no hiragana to kanji conversion when you look up a word in the dictionary ( at least as far as I know, there might be an option to turn it on). ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JWPce )

JWPce is a word-processor, and has a built-in IME. (I forget how you invoke it - it's years since I used it.)

The dictionary function is really ancillary, but it's nice to have it within the WP.

Speaking of WPs and dictionaries, there's a plugin for OpenOffice which allows a RikaiChan-style dictionary lookup by hovering the pointer over text.

Jim
jimbreen

Postby play_on_my_words » Sat 05.19.2012 1:37 am

jimbreen wrote:
play_on_my_words wrote:JWPce - basically a dictionary with various ways of looking up kanji. There is no hiragana to kanji conversion when you look up a word in the dictionary ( at least as far as I know, there might be an option to turn it on). ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JWPce )

JWPce is a word-processor, and has a built-in IME. (I forget how you invoke it - it's years since I used it.)

The dictionary function is really ancillary, but it's nice to have it within the WP.

Speaking of WPs and dictionaries, there's a plugin for OpenOffice which allows a RikaiChan-style dictionary lookup by hovering the pointer over text.

Jim

True its a word-processor, I rarely end up using it for that though. However, others might use it that way. I found an action for converting using Ctrl+F2 but no automatic conversation after looking through it ( I could be blind though). Never knew about the OpenOffice plugin, thanks for the info.
play_on_my_words

Postby phreadom » Sat 05.19.2012 11:30 am

jimbreen wrote:Speaking of WPs and dictionaries, there's a plugin for OpenOffice which allows a RikaiChan-style dictionary lookup by hovering the pointer over text.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/itadaki/

or maybe

http://code.google.com/p/itadaki/ (Looks like the bottom 3 downloads on this page are the relevant ones?)

Is that the one you're referring to Jim? :think: (The second one offers compiled versions of the latest development repository, so it's a tiny bit more "up to date" (offering 1.0alpha2 instead of 1.0alpha1), but isn't the actual author or authoritative source etc.)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby jimbreen » Sat 05.19.2012 7:03 pm

phreadom wrote:
jimbreen wrote:Speaking of WPs and dictionaries, there's a plugin for OpenOffice which allows a RikaiChan-style dictionary lookup by hovering the pointer over text.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/itadaki/
[...]

No, the one I mean was "jitenize":
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jitenize/files/

There's a YouTube video of how to install and use it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK5Vs3YQ1jg

It has a nice option that you can get it to create numbered footnotes containing translations. In fact that's its purpose, but you can use it in hover mode as well.

Jim
jimbreen

Postby richvh » Mon 05.21.2012 1:16 pm

jimbreen wrote:JWPce is a word-processor, and has a built-in IME. (I forget how you invoke it - it's years since I used it.)

To invoke the IME, hold down <shift> for the first (romaji) character typed. It will convert on the next shifted character, a punctuation mark or whitespace. A list of possible conversions will be given at the bottom of the main window. I forget how to cycle through them without using the mouse; it should be in the help somewhere.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Hektor6766 » Mon 05.21.2012 7:53 pm

F2 for the next kanji to the right, F3 to go left. (Or control , > or <)
Hektor6766

Postby Ranja » Sun 06.03.2012 9:20 pm

「NHK日本語発音アクセント辞典」(NHK Dictionary of Japanese Pronunciation and Accents) というのもあります。
iPhone版

Android版
Ranja

Native language: Japanese

Postby baskerville » Fri 05.10.2013 8:10 am

I just remembered how useful JWPCE was to me when I was studying Japanese. This was looong before there were apps for everything. I remember using it as my primary word processor and dictionary for anything Japanese. I even created lists of words/phrases I learned from translating showbiz news :blush:
...And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make...
baskerville

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips