Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - G'day from Australia.

G'day from Australia.

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

G'day from Australia.

Postby DavidG » Sun 06.03.2012 5:45 am

Hi there.
My name is David and I am 19 years old.
I have been travelling for the better part of 3 years spending 3/4ths of that time out of Australia travelling around the world. It has been amazing but next year is when the travelling really starts! Im off to Japan next June for 2 years so that I can see what asia has to offer. I have been in Australia again for the past 6 months planning this journey (working out accommodation, job, networking, getting some money together, etc) and as I have come to realise Japan is a world all on its own. Rather then going through the awkwardness of being an oblivious ignorant Gaijin (I'm already learning :P) I thought it would be most beneficial to my experience if I learn as much as possible about Japanese culture and its people, and that includes the lovely (yet quite complex) Japanese language. I love a challenge though so hopefully this should be a lot of fun.

A little about me:
I am an easy going kid. I love music, good food and great company. I grew up in a house with 2 brothers and 3 sisters in a small country town in inland Australia. ever since I was 16 I have been constantly travelling with the blessings of my Mum and Dad and have learned so much about the world in such a short period of time. Im very much looking forward to my time in Japan. This will be the longest time I have ever stayed in a single country outside of Australia so Im not sure what to expect however I know it will be a great adventure.

I'm looking forward to meeting many talented people on here and cant wait to become a part of the little community you have here.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. :)

Dave
DavidG

Skype chat: collegekid92
Native language: English

Re: G'day from Australia.

Postby phreadom » Sun 06.03.2012 7:28 am

Welcome to TJP David!

That's quite an exciting life for only being 19! :shock:

Sorry we missed you in the chat... it's pretty early Sunday morning here on the east coast of the US. ;)

Glad to have you here and look forward to talking to you more in the future. :bow:
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Shiroisan » Sun 06.03.2012 5:16 pm

If you've never set foot there I'd start with just 1 year; If it were me, 2 years is quite a commitment :sweatdrop:
Plus if it were 1 year you wouldn't have to worry about obtaining a work visa or anything complicated like that, you could just get a "working holiday" visa.

I'm jealous of how much cheaper your airticket to Japan must be from Australia. It's a fortune from Canada...
All the best!
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby DavidG » Sun 06.03.2012 10:38 pm

Thanks for your replies guys,:)
I cant go over on a working holiday visa because I will be working full time while Im in Japan.
2 years is a big commitment so we will see how I go. I cant see many if any reasons why I couldn't spend 2 years in Japan. I spent 13 months studying in Florida. I know there is a massive difference between the states and Japan but 13 months just went way too fast for me. I really want to jump in head first and learn what its like to live in a culture so separated from my own :) I will either adapt and have a great time or chicken out and come home! haha I know which sounds better. :P
DavidG

Skype chat: collegekid92

Postby viscid2012 » Mon 06.04.2012 7:23 am

Hey there!

Welcome! I actually just signed up myself, so I'm not sure if I can officially welcome you but I thought I'd go ahead and reach out to a fellow learner. I have been painstakingly studying Japanese for over a year, but am still pretty early on. Largely my own fault, so don't feel intimidated! :)

Anyway, it's very exciting that you will be going to Japan! Enjoy your traveling! It is something you will be so glad you did when you are older! Of course, I am speaking from the perspective of wishing I had done it when I had the chance. :)

Anyway, welcome again, and good luck!
viscid2012

Postby chikara » Wed 06.13.2012 7:02 pm

G'day Dave. :wave:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Return to Introductions