Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - eReader

eReader

AKA Geek talk - discuss technology in general; this may or may not relate to Japanese

eReader

Postby katafei » Thu 09.09.2010 8:43 am

Does anyone here have experience with eReaders?
I was wondering if you need a different eReader for Japanese, of if you can combine English and Japanese on one app? Probably the last option....would be my guess...
Do you have a preference for any make?
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Re: eReader

Postby micahcowan » Thu 09.09.2010 2:57 pm

By "eReader" do you mean a dedicated device (such as the Kindle) for reading eBooks?

If so, I recommend the latest Kindle (Kindle 3). Here's an article (in Japanese) that treats the subject of Kindle's current state of Japanese support http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/topic/feature/20100907_392075.html. I have the Kindle 2, but was considering buying the Kindle 3 when I heard I could browse Japanese webpages and read Japanese e-books (when they're available). As luck would have it, a coworker of mine had the new Kindle 3 out yesterday, so I checked out http://slashdot.jp/, and also my own site (see sig), which uses some funky JavaScript to do its thing and doesn't work with 100% of browsers (notably MSIE 6). Both viewed just fine (my site displayed glitchy until it was completely loaded, and was then redrawn to look just fine). I was also very impressed with how much faster it was, and how much better the contrast of the display was. I'm definitely planning on getting one, so I can read http://slashdot.jp or Japanese Wikipedia on the train rides to/from work.
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby katafei » Thu 09.09.2010 4:10 pm

Thanks for your reply and advice. So you have a kindle 2 now. I read somewhere that kindle doesn't support ePub, is this true? Actually, I thought the idea was that all eBooks should be readable on all eReaders, comparable to MP3 sound format.....
Can you share some info on this?

and I notice you say 'when' Japanese readers will become available.....
Are they not now? Surely Japan would be one of the forerunners on gadgets like this ^_^
I like the idea of having internet (do I understand right?) on this eReader as well....wow, technology is changing so fast! :P

(I like your site, btw, will do some serious studying this weekend!)
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby micahcowan » Fri 09.10.2010 7:05 pm

katafei wrote:Thanks for your reply and advice. So you have a kindle 2 now. I read somewhere that kindle doesn't support ePub, is this true? Actually, I thought the idea was that all eBooks should be readable on all eReaders, comparable to MP3 sound format.....
Can you share some info on this?

Well, MP3 is a single format, so it's easy to have all music players support it. But not all music players support MP3, and FLAC, and WMA, etc.

Anyway, it's true that Kindle doesn't support ePub. This has not shown itself to become a problem to me, as Kindle does support .mobi format (the Kindle's native format itself is said to be just a glorified .mobi), which seems to be about equally "standard" (it itself is basically a glorified packaging of HTML pages). It can also view PDF files (until recently, they had to be converted; Kindle 2 and 3 both now view PDFs in their native format). All the books at Project Gutenberg seem to be available in .mobi format, so I'm quite happy between that and PDF. Google Books is Epub, so I don't know about using that with Kindle; but it also provides PDF, and there may be Epub to .mobi converters, I don't know.

and I notice you say 'when' Japanese readers will become available.....
Are they not now?

Actually, I was talking about e-books, not readers. AFAIK, Amazon's not providing much in the way of Japanese e-books yet; and even when/if they do, I'm not sure whether I'll be able to reach them easily via their US website (which is the one with an account linked to my Kindle). I haven't really explored whether there are strong third-party eBook providers compatible with the Kindle; I imagine I might have the best luck looking for Japanese e-books in PDF format. Anyway, for now I'll be more than happy just to have a nice device for browsing Japanese websites while I'm on the train to/from work.

(I like your site, btw, will do some serious studying this weekend!)

Thanks very much! :) ...not very much in it yet; I'm hoping to do much more with it, but have taken some time out from working on the idea of a Japanese Reader online, in order to finish some intensive kanji studying with Heisig's Remembering the Kanji (I'm nearly done). Once I can relax a bit more, I plan to return to updating the site; but I'm not sure whether I'll actually begin on the "reader" (読本) yet at that stage. I may instead produce some more articles on "same-word, different-kanji" groups, like the latest one I did on みる. I took the trouble to generate (and edit) a list of as many such groups as I could find automatically, so that gives me something to work with. As to the reader itself, I still want to nail some decisions about how I'll do it, before I get started on writing content for it.
micahcowan

Native language: US English/米語

Postby lopka » Sat 06.09.2012 3:54 am

Hello,
this thread started a long while ago, but since the subject is ereaders, I would also like to ask a few questions...

I'm interested in purchasing the new Nook Simple Touch w/ Glow Light, and was wondering if someone knows about Japanese ebooks support (epub format) on that one?

Also, and this one is a bit tricky, since I'm now living in Japan, does by any chance anyone know of how to buy that Nook in Japan? I know there is always Ebay, but since I don't have a credit card and Paypal can't be topped up with Japanese bank accounts...

Thank you in advance for all your help!! :mrgreen:
lopka

Postby clay » Sun 06.10.2012 9:47 pm

I'd like to get a Nook (I have a Kindle Touch) to test with, but according to this forum: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140725 it looks like Japanese isn't default, but it is possible if you are tech-savvy to add and convert epub Japanese books.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Return to Computers & Technology