Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Flashcards to study vocabulary?

Flashcards to study vocabulary?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Flashcards to study vocabulary?

Postby Leslie_burke » Wed 06.20.2012 5:57 am

I know there are already topics regarding vocabulary and falshcards, but I didn't see anyone with my problem, so I decided to open a new topic...
I'm studying Japanese using Genki (I), and I'm on lesson four, but I'm not sure about how to study vocabulary... My problem is that when I see a word/sentence written in Japanese, even with Kanji, I've usaully no problem in understanding/reading it, but when I try to write sentences in Japanese I've some problemes. For exemple if I see "neru" I that it means "sleep, go to sleep", but when I try to use it while I'm writing I don't remember it...
I think that the problem is that I use Anki in a way that test only Japanese to English, or anyway Japanese reading, and never English to Japanese...

Exemple:
question: taberu (in kanji)
answer: hiragana, to eat

or...
Question: 今日は暑い。
Answer: きょうはあつい
It's hot today

Do you think I should make cards that ask me to translate from Japanese to English? I know that are people that use cards where you have to put a missing word in a sentence, and I've used them for my English, but I don't know enough Japanese to do this now...
Thank you!
Leslie_burke

Native language: Italian

Re: Flashcards to study vocabulary?

Postby Shiroisan » Wed 06.20.2012 7:52 pm

Your right, It's quite simple what your problem is; You're studying the words backwards. When you go through the vocabulary lists, you should be covering the japanese and testing yourself by only looking at the English. That way, you'll learn to instantly associate the english word in your mind with the proper japanese word.

Studying by looking at the japanese words and guessing the english meaning is useful only if you do it vice-versa as well (which is a good idea). Otherwise it's too easy and you won't be able to recall the japanese on your own.

All of my anki vocabulary and kanji are from English to Japanese.
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Re: Flashcards to study vocabulary?

Postby Leslie_burke » Thu 06.21.2012 5:43 am

Thank you for your reply! I was only on lesson 3/4 so it's not too late to make cards from English to Japanese! On onother site I had read that making cards from English to Japanese wasn't a good thing, but I think that actuallt they're more useful! In fact translating from Japanese, at least to me, is more difficult than translating from Japanese, and in this way I can also test both reading and kanji writing!
Leslie_burke

Native language: Italian

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips