Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Choices ... Choices after Genki II

Choices ... Choices after Genki II

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Choices ... Choices after Genki II

Postby chamberi86 » Mon 05.14.2012 5:04 pm

I am in a bit of a dillema ... I am almost finished with Genki II and trying to decide what step to take next.

I am liking some of the format of Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese ("IAIJ"), but not liking the relatively few practice questions in the workbook. I am also interested in Tobira and its companion Kanji Power book, but not sure that Genki II is adequate preparation. And there's the elusive question of Kanji ... what book should Intermediates use? I am going through Kanji Look-N-Learn (which by the way is a good text) right now, what next?

Your advice and/or recommendations would be really great!

Thanks,

Ian
chamberi86

Native language: English

Re: Choices ... Choices after Genki II

Postby Shiroisan » Mon 05.14.2012 11:27 pm

Kanji accompaniment books aren't really necessary... imo. Not sure why you'd get kanji look n learn if you already have genki. I just finished genki 2 a few days ago and all 317 kanji are firmly in my head. I use anki to review them.

From what I've seen and heard, Tobira is well received by the many, whereas IAIJ is well received by few. Tobira may sound too hard because of the title "gateway to advanced", but honestly the only reason it's a "gateway to advanced" is because it's jam packed, not because it starts out as upper intermediate. It is made specifically for studiers who have just completed rudimentary training, like genki. It assumes the learner only knows 290 "basic" kanji before starting; those kanji are apparently listed on the tobira website but you may have to login to see it, not sure.

A textbook that doesn't give you adequate practice exercises isn't really a textbook at all imo. More like just a gigantic compilment of information that they say "do as you please" with. Tobira FTW.
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Re: Choices ... Choices after Genki II

Postby QuakerBits » Thu 06.21.2012 10:52 am

This too much info? sorry lol.

I'm currently using Tobira and have been for 2 months. I started after I just finished Genki 2, and I don't think it was too big of a jump. At first you're a bit confused, but I focused on the grammar. The more grammar I consumed, the more other things I didn't get, started to make sense. Also, you'll want to re-read the passages a few times. I rushed threw Genki 1 + 2, so if you took your time to understand everything, I'm sure you'll be fine.

It has about 100+ grammar points. Short and easy to read def for each, then some good example sentences.

There's not to many "activities", not enough to keep you writing a lot. So I wrote all the grammar examples on paper for writing. Review; I SRS'd the grammar sentences, and made flash cards for the grammar points(those on paper). Outside for reading practice, I was already reading volumes of manga, and just started last week on short stories on the web (using rikai chan for vocab gap)

The book has a ton of information about japan. Culture notes, silly culture notes, language notes, talks about really good stuff. And even gives a few manga panels here and there. Each chapter presents, sometimes, a pre reading exercise for you to do, then gives you a passage. Some passages are a bit long, some not so much. Passages all contain very good info about Japan's culture and what not, aside from the culture notes:P It also list conversational text, which I found reallyy neat and important, esp for getting use to how conversations flow. And then has some practice pair work.

Online, you can get vocab audio for every chapter, passage audio and some video's for certain chapters. You can print out kanji worksheets and grammar exercises. Anki flash cards for every chapters kanji/vocab are also available(w/ audio attached!!).

Kanji wise, I just have flash cards. Personally don't see a book necessary.

That's my review on Tobira, hope it gives you some insight on it.
QuakerBits

Native language: 英語

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips