Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 粒をそろえて

粒をそろえて

Do you have a translation question?

粒をそろえて

Postby BlueKojiro » Tue 07.03.2012 4:02 pm

Okay, so for a practice translation project, I'm trying my best to translate, by myself, the performance notes for each piece in the Legend of Zelda Best Collection Piano Sheet Music book. But I've come across this phrase twice so far: 粒をそろえて and I have no idea what it means. I've tried searching everywhere, but there's not mention of what this means. I'm assuming the fact that because tsubu is used for a counter for small round objects that it's referring to the notes, and that soroeru means to align or arrange, but it doesn't make any sense in the actual context. This is the original source:

左右のメロディー・ラインを大切にプレイしましょう。また7小節目は、左右別々にゆっくりと練習して、「粒をそろえて」弾けるようにして下さいね。

I translated it this way: "Make sure to play the left hand melody line very carefully. Also, in the seventh measure, |practice each hand separately and slowly to be able to play each note in line with the other."

Obviously I took some liberties, but I think I got the general feel down. EXCEPT for that one phrase, which I really have no idea how it's used. It's strange that it's nowhere on the internet either. At least not in English.... :\

Any help???
BlueKojiro

Native language: English

Re: 粒をそろえて

Postby Ongakuka » Tue 07.03.2012 4:49 pm

Whipped this off Google

" 面倒だから、また結論から言っちゃう?「粒が揃う」というのは、「打鍵の強さが一定」なのではない。前の音と次の音との「音量の差(の幅)が一定」なのだ。

ピアノの場合、打鍵後、音は減衰するわけだから、次の音を、減衰して小さくなった前の音(=余韻)よりも大きな(するどい・強い)音で打鍵すると、今、打鍵した音が前の音より飛び出して聞こえる。たとえば、次の音をいつも同じタイミングで打鍵した場合、減衰した余韻の音と、次の打鍵した時の音の「音量の幅」が徐々に広くなれば「だんだん大きく」聞こえるわけだし、幅が狭くなれば「だんだん小さく」なる。そうして、前の音と次の音との「音量の幅が一定」の状態、これが「粒が揃う」ってことなのだ。 "
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Ongakuka » Tue 07.03.2012 4:52 pm

(So basically I think it means play 'evenly' in terms of volume, according to this guy.)
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby BlueKojiro » Tue 07.03.2012 4:56 pm

Okay....I GUESS I understand....but is there a reason "why" it means that? Like, the reason why those words are used in particular???
BlueKojiro

Postby Ongakuka » Tue 07.03.2012 5:33 pm

Well, 粒 is referred to as a 'small, usually round thing' in the dictionary, so it is admittedly a bit vague. If you want a precise answer, you will have to hear it from someone else, but it seems reasonable to assume that 粒 represents the idea of lots of little notes on the page of music, or the parts in some fashion. 揃う simply means 'come together.' In this case it is the player who 揃える s, so to speak.

The dictionary has this phrase: このチームの少年たちは粒がそろっている = The boys on this team are all talented [good players]. Which reinforces the idea that 粒 has metaphorical undertones. I'm sorry I can't be of more help :x
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby BlueKojiro » Tue 07.03.2012 5:49 pm

Okay, so this is just one of those more colloquial things were it makes sense if you're Japanese, right? At least that's what it seems. Well, thanks anyways. I literally couldn't find anything anywhere on this ^_^
BlueKojiro

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion