Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - I'm trying to translate from a video

I'm trying to translate from a video

Do you have a translation question?

I'm trying to translate from a video

Postby Rye » Mon 07.16.2012 1:06 pm

Hi guys!

I've uploaded a video to youtube which is an excerpt of another video from niconico.
It is a recording of a guy named "Marasy" playing the piano on some school festival. The excerpt I uploaded is just him talking between playing, and I would like so much to understand what he's saying.

Here's the excerpt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Dk5vHXU5Q
( The original video of marasy: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm10736889 )

I already posted this request to another site (rhinospike) in hopes to find a native speaker to transcribe the audio, but no luck so far. Maybe the audio quality is too bad after all....

So I tried to figure out as much as I could and made some notes including my translation (I'm taking a bit of freedom with my translation):

えと、どうも、皆さん今日は。
Hello, everyone!

[Audience: Konnichiwa!]

something something あってるんですけども、

はじめにお詫びをおもしあげたいんですが、あの。。
マイクを忘れまして something something 小さくてごめんなさい。
First I want to apologize, you see... I forget the microphone... so (if the volume?) is too low, I’m sorry!

いつも動画とか生放送とか見てくださって、どうもありがとうございます。
Thanks for always watching my videos and the live broadcasts etc.

この something も 一緒で今。。。僕のね、父親が。。。
あの、また動画に something と思います。
Something about his father taking the video.

三脚を持って来るの忘れちゃったから something something
Since I also forgot to bring the tripod (the video will be shaky???)
Or is he talking about the piano and that he had to put it on a table?

と言うことで、また、ニコニコ動画 something (とこよう?)の三十分 something something
No idea, what he’s talking about. Well, something to do with NicoNico Douga, and the audience seemed to say おめでとうございます, so maybe some kind of achievement or anniversary.

何もしゃべるか。。。
けっこ緊張しなんで、人の前でしゃべることは something ですけど、紙に書いて来たんです something something (家でもう?) 何をしゃべろうと紙に書いて来て、あの、それを忘れて来て something
Something along the lines of: What should I talk about... I’m quite nervous to talk in front of people. I even prepared some notes of what to talk about and wrote that on a little sheet of paper, but I forgot to bring that!

(さすぐ?)何しゃべっていいのわっかんないので、ちょっと次の曲。
Let’s continue with the next piece, since I don’t know what else to say.

Thank you for reading this far! If anyone has enough free time to try and help me figure out what I didn't understand or correct what I got so far, that would be much appreciated.

I hope it's not too presumptious of me to hope for help with a task like this, because..... if it were the other way around and someone wanted me to help, I probably couldn't offer much help! :(
Rye

Native language: German

Re: I'm trying to translate from a video

Postby Ongakuka » Mon 07.16.2012 7:52 pm

I tried my best at this but the most important bits I'm really unsure of anyway... and now I'm giving up to go to bed :p sorry

えっと どうも皆さんこんにちは

えっと、え?あの、そんなに(いっぱい来ればと思うと?I think I'm just making this up :p)とてもテンションが上がってるんですけれども、あの、はじめにもしあげたいんですが、マイクを忘れまして、あの、小さくてごめんなさい

えっとー、いつも動画とか生放送とか見てくださって、どうもありがとうございます。(この思いをもう?)一緒で今。。。僕のね、父親が。。。
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby chiyon » Tue 07.17.2012 4:16 am

えっと、どうも、みなさんこんにちは。(こんにちは~!)
Hello, everyone!(Hello~!)

えっとー、ね、あのー、こんなにいっぱい来てくれてsomething (僕は、もう?)とてもテンションが上がってるんですけど。
Let’s see, Thank you for so many people are coming. My sprit is already high.

あのー、初めにお詫びを申し上げたいんですが、あのー、マイクを忘れまして、あのー、(something)小さくて、ごめんなさい。
First I want to apologize, you see…. I forgot my microphone…so (the volume) is low, I’m sorry.

えーっとー、いつも、動画とか生放送とか見てくださって、どうもありがとうございます。
Thanks for always watching my videos and the live broadcasts etc.

えー、この模様も、えー、後で今、僕の父親が。。。 (笑)また動画に上がるかと思います。
This scene also, right now, my father is (taking)…. (lol) I think it will be uploaded soon.

三脚も持ってくるの忘れちゃったから、多分、手ぶれがやばいことになってるとは思うんですけどね…(???)
Since I also forgot to bring the tripod, I think the video will be badly shaky though……

とういことで、えーと、また、ニコニコ動画投稿用の30分というくぎりで、やらせていただこうかな、と。(拍手)
And so, let’s see, again, I guess I (would like to) play for 30minutes at first for posting a video of the NicoNico Douga.

では、何を喋るか、こう、結構緊張しいなので、人前で喋ることが、飛んじゃうんですよ。で、紙に書いてきたんですよ、今日。あの、家で、こう、何をしゃべろうと、紙に書いてきて、それを忘れてきてしまったんです。
Then, What should I talk about… It’s like, since I’m easy to be nervous, I (sometimes) forget what to talk in front of people.
早速、何しゃべっていいのわかんないのでちょっと次の曲・・・
Since I already don’t know what to say, let’s continue with the next piece.

I'm not sure some part and I'm not sure my Enlgish is correct though, I think this is what I heard.
chiyon

Postby Ongakuka » Tue 07.17.2012 11:00 am

Sorry that I posted when I had really very little idea at all :blush: (it was a good opportunity for me to practice though!)

Is it definitely not テンションが上がってるんですけれども? Every time I listen I always hear that....
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Rye » Tue 07.17.2012 3:23 pm

Thank you ongakuka! If it were not for chiyon's post, you still would have helped a lot! Cleaning up my lousy writing skills and adding valuable bits :) Also, "申し上げたい" makes much more sense than what I had, haha.

To chiyon a big thanks, too, for taking your time with this. I would never have figured out words like 模様 or 飛んじゃう or 手ぶれ 、... for me to think it was テーブル、haha.
I'm also not sure about your translation, but at least
"And so, let’s see, again, I guess I (would like to) play for 30minutes at first for posting a video of the NicoNico Douga."
does make sense where as I wouldn't have been able to make heads or tails of
"ニコニコ動画投稿用の30分というくぎりで、やらせていただこうかな" even written out like this.

I have a question about 結構緊張しいなので
Can I use this しいなので with other nouns also? And is this actually a grammatical construction or just something you would never see in written form?
Because (I thought) 緊張する means to be nervous... 緊張しい looks more like an adjective ...
or maybe this was just a little joke? Because his name (or more like nickname) is "まらしぃ" and I've seen him typing stuff on twitter like "くさしぃ" about himself. %)
Rye

Postby Ongakuka » Wed 07.18.2012 7:06 am

Well I nearly did a good job of throwing you in the wrong direction :P but maybe I can be of more use this time. I checked out the kinchoushii thing when you first posted this, and it seems to be Kansai ben for 'kinchou shiyasui'

http://sooda.jp/qa/291371

perhaps the same thing applies to くださし and perhaps you're right that its his personal habit, I can't tell :D
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Rye » Wed 07.18.2012 10:52 am

Woahh, thank you so much for finding this. Chiyon must have interpreted it as 緊張しやすい from the beginning, because he/she translated with "easy to be nervous". Makes so much sense now, hehe. :)

Then this probably can't be compared to くさしぃ which I interpreted as くさい + しぃ (being smelly). But that was because I knew the context. (He's also typed でぶしぃ (being fat)  once while talking about a flat tire on his bycicle.) Of course you couldn't know that and I didn't want to correct your or anything. :) Just throwing this in here on the side.

Maaa... maybe I should start using actual grammar guides and stuff like that, just trying to pick stuff up from reading tweets which on top are even written in a dialect and watching anime only works so far... ^^
Rye

Postby Ongakuka » Wed 07.18.2012 11:34 am

I think picking up *real* Japanese from those kind of sites is fantastic, more and more I'm starting think a good way to study Japanese is to have a healthy 'diet' of modern/young/hip Japanese, dramatic/scripted/descriptive Japanese and informative/worldly/academic Japanese. The reason for this is that I imagine one will feel more fluent if they can claim even but a little confidence in all of these areas, rather than being an expert at just one.

Anyway, I too would like to extend my thanks to Chiyon-san :pray: I don't imagine that was the easiest of transcriptions even for a Japanese person!
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby chiyon » Fri 07.20.2012 2:06 pm

★Thank you, Ongakukaさん.
I heard wrong.
I noticed some other things, too, while I was listening again. So, I correct those.
At 0:10テンションが上がってるんですけども→テンションが上がってるんですけれども
At0:28僕の父親が→僕のね、父親が
At0:41手ぶれがやばいことになってるとは思うんですけどね・・→手ぶれがやばいことになってるとは思うんですけど・・

★And about ~しい, Ryeさん.I have to correct that, too.
I said “I’m easy to be nervous” for the translation of “緊張しい” but it’s→ “I’m a person who is easy to be nervous”is better.  
  I think ~しい is “person who is easy to ~”and that might be Kansai dialect like Ongakuka さん says(~しやすい). I think so since I’m 関西人 and I say like that.
Adjective of ~しい is different from this usage. It’s like that in Kansai at least.
For example, 気にしい=someone who is easy to mind
(from the word 気にする)
ええかっこしい=someone who is easy to play cool
(from the word いい格好をする→を is omitted and いい changed to ええ)
仕事しい=someone who likes to work, or easy to work even if one doesn’t want to.
(from the word 仕事をする→を is omitted)
And we don’t say くさしい, でぶしい in Kansai.

But I’m really not sure it’s Kansai dialect only or not since he isn’t speaking in Kansai dialect except「緊張しい」.
Origin of the way to say ~しい might be from Kansai and it might be used in Aichi prefecture(middle part of Japan), too. Marasy seems to be from Aichi. And they speak like Kansai dialect a little, but Marsy might be using standard way to speak like people on TV since he is talking in public on the video.
But I can’t say with absolute certainly, so, if someone from Nagoya read this, or someone who knows about ~しい, please comment to help us.

★My English isn’t so good. I used what Rye さん was saying to translate what Maracy says. So, please correct or ask me if you don’t understand what I’m saying. Thank you. ^^; 
chiyon

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion