Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Meaning of 'to' in this context?

Meaning of 'to' in this context?

Do you have a translation question?

Meaning of 'to' in this context?

Postby tjkuyper » Tue 07.17.2012 3:35 pm

I am currently working my way through a children's mukashi banashi book (learning Japanese of course ^_^ ). The story is the Moon Princess and is bilingual in both English and Japanese (hiragana only, so no kanji lookups). This sentence is giving me trouble.

aru hi, ojiisan ga fushi no hikatte iru take o kiru to, naka ni kawaii akachan ga imashita.

From what I understand it's basically saying, "One day, the old man (or grandpa) cut a shining (or glimmering) bamboo shoot and inside was a cute baby."

I looked up fushi online and the definition given was immortality/eternal life but the English story says a strange glow. Can fushi mean strange in this context?

My main question is the to after kiru. I know to can be used after a single noun or phrase to mean with, but from my limited understanding I thought that was just a me and you together kinda thing and not bamboo with a baby inside. What does the to mean?
tjkuyper

Native language: English

Re: Meaning of 'to' in this context?

Postby richvh » Tue 07.17.2012 3:59 pm

I believe "fushi" here is a joint (of bamboo), though it might possibly be dialect for "fushigi" (but I don't see any such definition in a Japanese dictionary), the glow part is "hikatte iru".

"To" here is an "if" or "when" (when fits better here), read about conditionals in Japanese here.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby tjkuyper » Tue 07.17.2012 4:07 pm

Thank you, it now makes sense! :dance:
tjkuyper

Native language: English

Postby vonessa » Mon 10.29.2012 7:15 am

So the "to" means, "when" he cut it? Just wanted to confirm. Thanks!
vonessa

Native language: english

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion