Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Two questions, "達" and "おぎやはぎ"

Two questions, "達" and "おぎやはぎ"

Do you have a translation question?

Two questions, "達" and "おぎやはぎ"

Postby Varien » Thu 07.26.2012 10:55 pm

The first question would be on a video I saw titled "大変な新しいルームメイト達", which to my knowledge is spoken (I didn't know the first word of the title before I saw this video, so it might be off) 「だいへんなあたらしいルームメイトたち。」, or "big news/change, new roommate found (accomplished/achieved?)."
However, when I looked up 達 in the dictionary, it confirmed my confusion. 達 is usually only used as a compound word (to my understanding), and never by itself, so how would it be pronounced, if not in its' "on" reading (タツ/ダ), or in its' compund form (-たち)?

Link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb5PZ6TX ... OUj7imIiJg
I would suggest these videos to any others wanting videos to practice their listening skills, as koichiben speaks just slow enough, you can understand what he's saying even if you have trouble defining words by ear.

As for my other question, it's from another video I watched titled "おぎやはぎ - それを知っている". Pretty self-explenatory, the only kanji here is 「しる」, meaning "to know". The question here is, what exactly does "おぎやはぎ" mean? I know "おぎや" is a family name, but considering there's no video description, there's nothing describing why these two people seem to carry this name. The video itself shows two comedians role-playing on a stage, having an exchange of words while pretending to smoke ciggarettes. おぎやはぎ is the front part of the title for every video they're in, so I'm presuming A: They're either brothers, and that's their last name, or B: (which seems more likely) That's just what they call their two-man group.
However, what does it mean??? :think:
Varien

Native language: English

Re: Two questions, "達" and "おぎやはぎ"

Postby NileCat » Fri 07.27.2012 10:19 am

1) 大変な(たいへんな)means terrible or awful.
2) 達(たち)only makes the word ルームメイト plural.
3) おぎやはぎ is the pair’s name which was named after their real (family) names 小木(おぎ)and 矢作(やはぎ).
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Re: Two questions, "達" and "おぎやはぎ"

Postby Varien » Sat 07.28.2012 6:57 am

After reading what you said about the "~tachi" part, I facepalmed myself. I've only ever written the "tachi" suffix with kana, I never knew it was specfied with a kanji.
And thanks for specifying about 大変な, I'll add it to my kanji list.
Varien

Native language: English

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion