Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - ハイ!タケコプタ-

ハイ!タケコプタ-

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

ハイ!タケコプタ-

Postby themonk » Fri 08.10.2012 11:03 pm

This is a line from the title song Do Ra E Mo N, ドラえもんのうた, the machine cat, a cartoon of the same name.

The translation everywhere i have seen is, "Yes, bamboo dragon fly!"

But when i looked up the word タケコプタ- in the dictionary, i was unable to get any English translation.

Furthermore, to prove i had exhausted every means, i also did it the reverse way. I keyed in bamboo and dragon fly in English. The Japanese words that came up did not match タケコプタ- .

Any idea why? i understand that "bamboo dragon fly" is a wooden toy in the shape of a dragon fly. Thanks.

Also, while we are on the subject, can "dream" be written as もん, as the cartoon title suggested? I am asking this, because, i cannot locate もん as "dream" in the dictionary.
themonk

Native language: NA

Re: ハイ!タケコプタ-

Postby NileCat » Sat 08.11.2012 12:31 am

タケコプター is a coined word created from 竹(たけ・bamboo) and ヘリコプター(helicopter).

wikipedia wrote:The name "Doraemon" translated roughly to "stray". Unusually, the name "Doraemon" (ドラえもん) is written in a mixture of two Japanese scripts: Katakana (ドラ) and Hiragana (えもん). "Dora" is from "dora neko" (brazen or stray cat, どら猫), and is a corruption of nora (stray). "Emon" is a component of male given names, such as Goemon, though no longer as popular as in the past. "Dora" is not from dora meaning gong, but due to the homophony, the series puns on this, with Doraemon loving dorayaki.
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Re: ハイ!タケコプタ-

Postby themonk » Sat 08.11.2012 2:25 pm

Thank you, Nile Cat san, for coming to my rescue.
themonk

Native language: NA

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems