Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - そんな所かしら

そんな所かしら

Do you have a translation question?

そんな所かしら

Postby MeitanteiJesus » Fri 08.17.2012 9:48 pm

I know the phrase そんな所かしら can mean "Something like that", but can it also mean "That's enough of that for now" to transition into a new topic depending on context?

Ex.
【明美】それと、おやつはその棚ね。何でも食べても良いけど、クッキーは残しておかないと伊緒が怒るから気をつけて。
【伊緒】そんなの子供の頃の話じゃないっ!
【明美】ふふっ……大輔君に変わってないって言われたくせに。
【伊緒】う、うう……。
【大輔】あっ、えっと……成長してないとか、そう言う事じゃないから。
【明美】そんな所かしらね。自分の家だと思って好きに過ごしてね。

Also, is there a specific resource I could check for phrases like this which don't show up via a dictionary search?
MeitanteiJesus

Native language: English

Re: そんな所かしら

Postby NileCat » Sat 08.18.2012 8:56 am

I think I know your trouble. Idiomatic expressions like that always annoy us, in any language, don’t they? The other day I came across an English expression goes like “That just about does it” and was totally puzzled. What the f*** is this? How can a non-native learner possibly make out this sort of expression?
…I find this website handy for people who study English although I have no idea if it works for people who study Japanese.
http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=call+it+a+day

As for your first question, the subtle nuance there is kind of hard to explain in English because of the diversity of the nuance in contexts. I think the word “Okey” or “Yeah”, for instance, can be used in both of the situations: meaning “Something like that” and “That’s enough of that for now”. In that sense, you have freedom to translate the phrase そんな所かしら as “Yeah”. And if it is a casual conversation, simple “Kind of, anyway” might work. But I’m not sure about the specific nuance of these ambiguous English expressions. Ah, in short, that そんなところかしら(そんなところかな/そんな感じ) in casual conversation is sometimes used as something like “Uh huhs”. (Note: But it carries a little bit more meaning,...I think.)  
Hope it helps.

EDIT:
I’ve come up with a more logical explanation which might sound slightly more persuasive.
The phrase literally means “something like that” as you said. But it has a nuance like “<My conclusion is that is> something like that”. So it can wrap up the conversation depending on the flow of it because that’s the “conclusion”. :)
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby MeitanteiJesus » Sat 08.18.2012 1:54 pm

Thanks for clearing that up! Seems like my journey to learn Japanese is gonna be a long one :D
MeitanteiJesus

Native language: English

Postby Mitto » Mon 08.20.2012 4:48 am

Hi, MeitanteiJesus

I think 明美 has just continued to her first sentence.
I mean, you can skip out the middle conversation like:
【明美】それと、おやつはその棚ね。何でも食べても良いけど、クッキーは残しておかないと伊緒が怒るから気をつけて。
【明美】そんな所かしらね。自分の家だと思って好きに過ごしてね。

Then, as you think, そんな所かしら means "Something like that" or "That's all I have to say now".
Mitto

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion