Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 落とされ / 胸が騒いだ / ヒンヤリ / かと / 気がして / 目をこらして

落とされ / 胸が騒いだ / ヒンヤリ / かと / 気がして / 目をこらして

Do you have a translation question?

落とされ / 胸が騒いだ / ヒンヤリ / かと / 気がして / 目をこらして

Postby MeitanteiJesus » Wed 08.22.2012 3:48 am

Lot of questions today, since I spent most of it devoted to my reading :D

In the phrase: 部屋の電気は落とされ、

Does 落とされ mean the lights were turned off, or dimmed? From the context, it seems to be 'turned off' since it was said he fumbles around the room a few lines afterwards. But isn't 消して used for turning off a light?

In the phrase: 胸が騒いだ

I know that 騒いだ means "made noise", and since chest making noise doesn't make much sense, is this translated as "heart beated loudly?"

For the word ヒンヤリ

JDIC says it means pleasantly cool, but the example sentence says it means cold. So can the word mean cool / cold / chilly depending on context?

In the phrase: 寝ているのかと思うと、

how exactly does かと function grammatically? I believe the phrase means "thinking they're asleep, " based on the context.

In the phrase: 何者かの気配を感じたような気がして

How is 気がして translated? I can't seem to find it in the dictionary, but contextually it feels like "had the feeling of".

In the phrase: 目をこらしてよく見ると,

The phrase 目をこらして is translated as "stare" in my dictionary, but it doesn't quite fit in the phrase. Stared and looked carefully?

Thanks for any help as usual!
MeitanteiJesus

Native language: English

Re: 落とされ / 胸が騒いだ / ヒンヤリ / かと / 気がして / 目をこらして

Postby NileCat » Wed 08.22.2012 1:12 pm

1) 落とす was originally used when you put out the fire as in “かまど(furnace)の火を落とす. (You might want to consider that electric lights were invented only 130 years ago.) Today, 消す is commonly used when you turn off the light, however, because of the very close correlation between fire and light, we use the word 落とす as well.
Nevertheless, because the word 落とす has a lot of meanings and one of which is to bring down (reduce) something, it can mean “to dim” at times.
It may sound confusing to you. But if you know the background of the word like above, you would see the predominant definition, which is “to extinguish”.

2) 胸が騒ぐ(n. 胸騒ぎ) is an idiom that means “butterflies in stomach”.

3) Cold, chilly, or icy.
http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=%e3%81%b2 ... 4%e3%82%8a
(I found it interesting that the word "cool" confused you. :) )

4) You might want to see it as “if” like “if they are asleep”.
Precisely, か here means かも or かもしれない.
http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=%e3%81%8b ... a%e3%81%84

5) You are right.
http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=%e6%b0%97 ... 9%e3%82%8b

6) 目をこらす is a verb whereas 目をこらして is an adverbial phrase which modifies the main verb 見る.
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Re: 落とされ / 胸が騒いだ / ヒンヤリ / かと / 気がして / 目をこらして

Postby MeitanteiJesus » Wed 08.22.2012 7:04 pm

1. Knowing the history behind the word now, it makes a lot more sense!

3. Cool and chilly mean two different things to me, cool would be pleasantly cold, and chilly would be unpleasantly cold. ヒンヤリ taking on both meanings seemed odd, but your link cleared it up for me.

4. I would never have realized the か here was short for かもしれない.

Thanks a lot!
MeitanteiJesus

Native language: English

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion