Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Love music !

Love music !

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Love music !

Postby nikhilkhullar » Tue 09.04.2012 11:23 am

Konnichiwa friends,

I have a doubt. I intend to make a paper strip to stick on my wall that says: Love music !

Should it say:
>> 愛する音楽 (aisuru ongaku)
or
>> 愛の音楽 (ai no ongaku) -- as per Google Translator

Am confused about the conjugation here. Please explain.

Also, if am writing vertically will the す and る in suru come in one line or do Hiragana get split up as well into multiple lines..?

Awaiting your replies ! ^^

Regards,
Nikhil
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...
人生は音楽です。
nikhilkhullar

Native language: Hindi

Re: Love music !

Postby 海賊狩り » Wed 09.05.2012 9:35 am

From my small experience Japanese prefer adjectives when expressing feelings, for example when they are scared they won't say 脅かした!(あびやかした!) but 怖い! (こわい!).
The most natural would propably be 音楽が好き(I would add な at the end, it "feels" more natural to me than leaving it hanging).
And する should go vertically as well. Every furigana occupies one line in vertical writing.
Please be so kind to correct any errors I make while writing in Japanese.
I'll greatly appreciate it!
海賊狩り

Native language: Greek

Postby furrykef » Wed 09.05.2012 5:59 pm

nikhilkhullar wrote:I intend to make a paper strip to stick on my wall that says: Love music !

What do you mean by "Love music!"? Is it a command?

Should it say:
>> 愛する音楽 (aisuru ongaku)

Certainly not. That means something like "Music that I love" or even "Music that loves".

Well, that does mean "love music" in the sense of music about love, or something like that. I don't know whether it's an idiomatic phrase (in English we likely wouldn't say "love music" with that meaning, but we would say "love song", for example).

There's more than conjugation to worry about. Sentence structure is important too, and it is not at all like English (and probably not much like Hindi either, though Hindi may be closer). For instance, in Japanese, the verb goes at the end of the sentence unless it is modifying a noun. There would be much more to discuss than could fit into a mere forum post; you should consult a guide on the Japanese language if you want to learn how to form sentences.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby nikhilkhullar » Thu 09.06.2012 7:42 am

@ 海賊狩り
Arigatou gozaimasu. But wouldn't that mean I love music !
Regards !

@furrykef
Arigatou gozaimasu. Thanks for your remarks.

furrykef wrote:
nikhilkhullar wrote:I intend to make a paper strip to stick on my wall that says: Love music !

What do you mean by "Love music!"? Is it a command?

Well, It is. I mean something like the first half of:
"Love music. It is the way of life..."

Should it say:
>> 愛する音楽 (aisuru ongaku)

Certainly not. That means something like "Music that I love" or even "Music that loves".

Well, that does mean "love music" in the sense of music about love, or something like that. I don't know whether it's an idiomatic phrase (in English we likely wouldn't say "love music" with that meaning, but we would say "love song", for example).

There's more than conjugation to worry about. Sentence structure is important too, and it is not at all like English (and probably not much like Hindi either, though Hindi may be closer). For instance, in Japanese, the verb goes at the end of the sentence unless it is modifying a noun. There would be much more to discuss than could fit into a mere forum post; you should consult a guide on the Japanese language if you want to learn how to form sentences.

And yes, am indeed very confused about sentence making, even though my vocabulary and kanji are growing at a good pace... I don't know the constructions other than A wa B desu... :D
Am trying to find some Japanese classes nearby to bridge the gap between my self study and a structured study of the language.

Regards !
人生は音楽です。
nikhilkhullar

Postby 海賊狩り » Thu 09.06.2012 2:23 pm

I don't know the constructions other than A wa B desu...

You shouldn't use online translators like google and depend on them for syntax purposes. Also

But wouldn't that mean I love music !

I don't know if you wanted to place "that" before "wouldn't" or you intented to use a question mark instead of an exclamation one, but in case you are suggesting that "音楽が好き" isn't a valid lingual mechanism to reflect your given sentence, you are wrong.
In the specific example the level of affection the adjective 好きな reflects, escalates using adverbs like あまり、少し、大 e.t.c.

またね!
海賊狩り

Postby nikhilkhullar » Fri 09.07.2012 1:17 am

@海賊狩り
But wouldn't that mean I love music !

I don't know if you wanted to place "that" before "wouldn't" or you intented to use a question mark instead of an exclamation one, but in case you are suggesting that "音楽が好き" isn't a valid lingual mechanism to reflect your given sentence, you are wrong.
In the specific example the level of affection the adjective 好きな reflects, escalates using adverbs like あまり、少し、大 e.t.c.

Yes. Am sorry. I intended a question mark there... ^^
See these sentences:
1. Love Music. It is the way of life.
2. Love music. It heals.

I want to translate the first half of this... Ongaku ga suki desu... Does that fir in the first part of these or is it like I love music ..? This is what am confused about.

Thanks for your reply !
人生は音楽です。
nikhilkhullar

Postby 海賊狩り » Fri 09.07.2012 2:31 am

Looks like what you are seeking for is imperative. You can still use 好け which is the imperative plain form of 好く(to love, to be fond of)。The given phrase would become 音楽が好け (it's up to you to - for example - add a な or よ at the end). I personally wouldn't add 大 in front of 好け to escalate the feeling of fondness, but again it's up to you.
The conjugation of 好く you'll use is again a matter of context, for example it is more common especially in manga and anime, to place imperative's as -te forms, omitting the ください of the polite forms. That means an also acceptable form would be
音楽が好いて. Again a particle at the end would sound more natural to a Japanese speaker.
海賊狩り

Postby NileCat » Fri 09.07.2012 5:42 am

Sorry but please allow me to interrupt a little bit.
The phrase you mentioned, which is 音楽が好け, unfortunately has two major problems I’m afraid. One is a grammatical error and the other one is a semantically-based unnaturalness.
Let me explain.

1) Grammatical error
In your phrase, 音楽 is the direct object of the transitive verb 好く. Therefore, the particle must be を, not が, never. I’m not talking about so-called school grammar like a boring schoolteacher or something. Actually, が doesn’t make sense even if it appears in a very casual conversation. And 音楽が好いて also sounds off because of the same reason.

2) Unnaturalness
The bottom line is that we don’t use the imperative form of 好く except for very rare specific occasions. (like in an academic thethis analyzing some sentence structure)
Today, the verb 好く is only used to describe the “state” that someone is fond of something, not the “act”. (except for some idiomatic phrases like 好いた惚れたは〜) Besides, the verb itself would sound kind of archaic I’m afraid. So we’d say 好きになれ, instead. However, because the word (adjective) 好き is still assumed “a state” which is only a matter of personal likings, this imperative form unfortunately has a nuance like someone “forces” something “against your personal taste”.

Hope this helps.
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems