Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 休業 とはなんでしょうかなあ

休業 とはなんでしょうかなあ

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

休業 とはなんでしょうかなあ

Postby QuakerBits » Thu 10.25.2012 11:44 am

hey guise(: sooo, I'm trying to make an MCD, but I can't seem to pin down what this word is acting as?

here's the entire info(comes from Tokyo Midtown podcast[very good podcast if you're looking for one])

12月30日のゲストはジャーナリストの上杉隆(うえすぎ・たかし)さんです。今年は福島第一原発事故の情報隠ぺいについて異論を唱え続けてきましたが、いよいよ明日でジャーナリスト休業を宣言していらっしゃいます。今日は、言いたいことを全部吐き出していただきましょう。

so my translation. I'll start at 今年, the underline is just what I don't get, and bold is the word.

"many opinions have continued spewing out regarding this years concealment of information about fukushima's radiation accident, however, tomorrow is at last declared a journalist holiday"

????

It doesn't seem to make any sense to me for some reason>_< also sorry if I made this confusing... need foood :blush:

よろしくお願いします :bow: :bow:
QuakerBits

Native language: 英語

Re: 休業 とはなんでしょうかなあ

Postby Ongakuka » Thu 10.25.2012 6:11 pm

Threw me off too, but it means exactly what it says. This Uesugi guy decided that there should be a day where journalists are not active.

I think 異論を唱えて続けてきました The subject is still Uesugi san, so 'He has continued to advocate his argument/theory' (or something like that.) This would apply to the final sentence too; the declaring is done by him :)
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby QuakerBits » Thu 10.25.2012 8:53 pm

thannnnnnnnnk you!!!!!!! that makes so much more sense now! I just completely blew out the subject and forgot about it, wops lol. I'm still having trouble with the way the "subject" works in japanese, so yeah! but I think this explanation will keep me alittle more aware of what's the subject now(:
QuakerBits

Postby Ranja » Sat 10.27.2012 2:49 am

It means that Mr. Uesugi has declared that he's going to stop his activities as a journalist tomorrow.
Last edited by Ranja on Sun 10.28.2012 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ranja

Native language: Japanese

Postby QuakerBits » Sat 10.27.2012 10:14 pm

lol, that makes even more sense, thank you(:
QuakerBits

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems