Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - subbed or dubbed

subbed or dubbed

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

subbed or dubbed

Postby Shoseki » Sun 10.19.2008 7:01 pm

For me, the two seem totally different.

Its not just the translation, whether it should be presented in text or with voice actors. If it was simply that, I might say dubbed if the voices weren't so retarded that it reminded me that I was watching a children's program (I will point out at this stage, that I love Naruto :D ).

The problem is all the cutting room floor business. I have some serious issues with western morality concerning violence and sexuality (ie, a news program showing beheadings "the following may be upsetting, you have been warned" from the most conservative news groups (BBC, for example), yet something like a nipple turns it "OMG 18 !!!". The animes just don't translate well when there is a whole bunch of jokes about sexuality, puns, characters teasing each other about who they fancy etc.

The american dubbing of the original Street Fighter film, censoring Chun-Lis' shower scene, finalized that opinion for me. For a film aimed at teenagers, its not exactly corrupting (most kids I knew at 14 had already seen Basic Instinct. Its just process of making everything for children that annoys me.

Plus I can pretend I'm learning Japanese when I watch with subtitles :lol: .
Shoseki

Re: subbed or dubbed

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 10.19.2008 8:16 pm

Shoseki wrote:I have some serious issues with western morality concerning violence and sexuality (ie, a news program showing beheadings "the following may be upsetting, you have been warned" from the most conservative news groups (BBC, for example)

I would suggest that *actual* violence is (and should be) a lot more disturbing than fictional violence. There's a huge difference between watching a special-effects simulated scene of someone being beheaded, and watching a person get beheaded for real.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Sairana » Mon 10.20.2008 3:39 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:I would suggest that *actual* violence is (and should be) a lot more disturbing than fictional violence. There's a huge difference between watching a special-effects simulated scene of someone being beheaded, and watching a person get beheaded for real.

I thought that was his point, too. You can see rather graphic things even on conservative programs, and yet in an animated series/movie, anything remotely related to sex or violence gets the chop or an M/R rating.

Sailor Moon go slapped by her mom for her billionth failing grade on a test, and locked out of the house for the rest of the day. That didn't make it through the edit to US distribution. :P Just one of many examples, and the only real reason I prefer original Japanese to dubs.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby paste » Wed 11.19.2008 8:21 pm

Without subtitles, we wouldn't have great phenomena such as "Do not want!!"

But in seriousness, subtitles are the way to go.
paste

Postby jcdietz03 » Wed 11.26.2008 11:11 pm

I guess for learning Japanese, you're supposed to watch with Japanese audio and NO subtitle.

I tried that and it didn't work too well. I understand few sentences. Probably around 1 out of 100. For words it's probably around 5 out of 100. Remember some sentences are expressions (I know those), and saying an adjective in a long drawn out fashion (かわいい!!!) is a sentence. I never understand sentences with a defined subject. For expressions and adjectives, the subject is implied.

I also want to mention that I liked the Naruto fan subtitle but when it switched over to dub I realized how dumb it was and stopped watching. However, this did not happen for me with Inuyasha.

Also, I was watching Wedding Peach dub. It was fun for awhile, but then I started learning more Japanese. The main character's name is ももこ (written in hiragana, I think) - however, I could not get it out of my head that her name is really "peach kid" (my probably at least a little bit incorrect translation of ももこ). Once that happened it seemed way too ridiculous to me. I was no longer able to watch it.
jcdietz03

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 11.26.2008 11:40 pm

jcdietz03 wrote:I guess for learning Japanese, you're supposed to watch with Japanese audio and NO subtitle.

Eventually. If you try to start out doing that, it will never work.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby nukemarine » Thu 11.27.2008 12:27 am

I like to watch Japanese shows with Japanese subtitles. It seems easier to follow.

The only dubbed shows I'm watching are American shows dubbed in Japanese (also with Japanese subtitles). It's humorous as it has an Anime feel to it, even if it's Sex in the City. Prison Break and Battlestar Galactica already has that built in Anime film (Yakuza or Sci-Fi flavor). Note that this is the only time I'd advocate dubbing.

Quality dubs (into English) are few and far between. For every Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (superior imo), you have dozens of Grave of the Fireflies (omfg, wtf choose these voice actors, did they even bother watching the movie first!!!).
nukemarine

Postby Kalas » Wed 12.03.2008 2:34 pm

subbed...sounds so much better in japanese

japanese voice overs > american voice overs
Kalas

Postby ageingotaku » Sat 12.05.2009 9:19 am

Subbed!!!!!
I am hard at hearing so read subtitles really well... (I have had lots of practise), when I tried my ear at Azumanga Daioh in the dubbed version I was horrified! In some case what was being said in the subtitles did not match what was being said in English by the character. Overall though, I found the English dubs to be distraction. The Japanese way of speaking did not translate well into English, you miss the inflextions in the voices and the formality of speech. And, when characters use honorifics in English it just does not work.
However, this IMHO only.
ageingotaku

Postby Karoriana-chan » Sat 09.08.2012 7:43 am

I make Polish dubbings , but I have childish voice. T^T
Child's Play
Servant of Evil
Sorry for my bad english...
Karoriana-chan

Postby komugi » Mon 12.31.2012 10:42 am

definitely subbed

sadly most of the English voice actors sound like they are getting paid to read their lines as flat as possible ... and all to frequently the voices are hideously mis-matched to the Japanese character voice

now ... if there was only a way to get this message across to the Japanese anime producers ... to stop wasting time with licensing companies who ALWAYS dub the anime as well as sub it ... us otaku could get more anime, faster, if the subbing was done in Japan and then distributed directly as online downloads

you can buy J-Pop music online ... why cant they set up a similar system for selling anime directly online ... us otaku would be able to GET more of the anime we love ... and I can bet that the Japanese anime producers would make more money for their efforts ... because the way things are now with licensing companies, very little anime ever gets licensed for distro outside of Japan :evil: ...............
komugi

Postby john2 » Mon 12.31.2012 9:16 pm

Subbed, I think i'd love being a maŋgaka.
john2

Re: subed or dubed

Postby Mets » Tue 01.29.2013 8:29 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
chiisaikaeru wrote:plus you learn language.

No.

Why not? Sure, learning from something like Bleach or One Piece is not a good idea, but what about watching an episode of Lucky Star 8+ times (first subbed, then raw ofc)? At the very least you get some vocabulary to put into an SRS.
Mets

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Tue 01.29.2013 1:46 pm

I'm not sure who you're replying to, but since it's not on this page, it appears you're replying to someone from over four years ago.

In any case, the problem with subs is that unless you're already at quite an advanced level, you won't learn much - instead you'll simply be reading the subtitles, noticing a word here and there perhaps but not really following the Japanese. (And of course in any long sentence, the Japanese and the subtitle on the screen may not match up, and of course, commercial translations may entirely rewrite the meaning in some cases - e.g. material that would offend people in the U.S., jokes that rely on language puns or cultural references, etc.)

It's not that you learn -nothing- from watching subtitled anime, but what you learn is pretty much insignificant. If you want to learn by watching anime, I recommend turning off the English subtitles. Watch raw if your listening is up to it, or use Japanese subtitles. You can find a bank of Japanese subs for anime at http://kitsunekko.net/subtitles/japanese/
SomeCallMeChris

Postby Mets » Tue 01.29.2013 4:17 pm

SomeCallMeChris wrote:I'm not sure who you're replying to, but since it's not on this page, it appears you're replying to someone from over four years ago.

In any case, the problem with subs is that unless you're already at quite an advanced level, you won't learn much - instead you'll simply be reading the subtitles, noticing a word here and there perhaps but not really following the Japanese. (And of course in any long sentence, the Japanese and the subtitle on the screen may not match up, and of course, commercial translations may entirely rewrite the meaning in some cases - e.g. material that would offend people in the U.S., jokes that rely on language puns or cultural references, etc.)

It's not that you learn -nothing- from watching subtitled anime, but what you learn is pretty much insignificant. If you want to learn by watching anime, I recommend turning off the English subtitles. Watch raw if your listening is up to it, or use Japanese subtitles. You can find a bank of Japanese subs for anime at http://kitsunekko.net/subtitles/japanese/

Hahaha, that post was made in 2008... I didn't even notice... ww

I started studying Japanese "just for fun" (no motivation to study quickly) around a year ago (when I joined tjp). I basically had never heard or seen Japanese before, so I started watching anime to "get used to it". Now, sure, I didn't learn a lot of words at first. But now I have a feel for what sounds "right" and "wrong" in Japanese, which I couldn't really get by studying grammar, memorizing phrases, etc
What I do is watch the episode once raw, doing my best to understand the dialog. Then I watch once with subs to see how close I was (though sometimes the subs are frustratingly different from the literal meaning - thanks for the helpful link :) ). Then I watch the ep 3+ times raw, picking out vocab to translate and put into Anki. The advantage is that I get examples of where to use different words and I can get a fairly large amount of vocab without having to read, which requires knowing all the kanji (haven't gotten there yet). Ofc, sometimes I will just watch an anime subbed, because I enjoy watching and it's captivating. I don't watch any TV anymore, only anime, so I get to hear Japanese
I'm also going through RTK, Nukemarine's 2000/6000 deck and the stories on tjp... that was long :bow:

tl;dr - I watch anime both sub and raw several times. I wouldn't recommend learning Japanese by just watching anime to anyone, however, it is a helpful resource. It improves your ability to hear Japanese, increases vocab and gets you a feel for the language.
Mets

PreviousNext

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions