Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Most overrated anime/manga ever

Most overrated anime/manga ever

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Re: Most overrated anime/manga ever

Postby myles1260 » Sun 09.28.2008 8:25 pm

Naruto is awesome. It's my favorite, and you know why? It's because I ONLY READ THE MANGA. I have been lucky to not have my mind and my vision of the cool and exciting original story of the manga be tainted by the anime. I have watched some episodes, but only after reading the manga, and the anime IS horrid. I love the manga though. Fullmetal Alchemist is also awesome to me. I think I'd say it's my second favorite, below Naruto. It's full of emotion and great action, just like Naruto, has great characters, just like Naruto, and it just makes you want to keep reading it... I mean, I don't watch anime much... I appreciate manga exponentially more.
myles1260

Postby myles1260 » Sun 09.28.2008 8:27 pm

Oh yeah, and sorry to double post, but I have to add this:

If Naruto never became an anime, and just stayed a manga, it would have been so much less annoying. You wouldn't have all these kids, esp. in America, running around like morons and pronouncing stuff wrong. It's hilarious... But yeah, I kind of just wish it was only a manga, then it would still be otakufied, and unique to the manga world, popular only among modest manga fans...
myles1260

Postby becki_kanou » Sun 09.28.2008 8:37 pm

About double posting; you can click the little edit button on the upper right hand corner and edit your original post if you realize after posting that you've left something out.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby myles1260 » Mon 09.29.2008 11:51 pm

^Oh thank you. Most forums I use do not have that, but now I know, I guess. Thanks.
myles1260

Postby maboroshi638 » Thu 11.03.2011 12:01 pm

I have to agree with hopu-chan in that this thread is kind of depressing. If you don't like a Anime then don't watch it. I don't see the point in discussing the reasons for your dislikes to death.
The gods envy us. They envy us because we are mortal. Because every moment could be our last. Everything is so much more beautiful because we will someday die. (From "Troja")
maboroshi638

Native language: English and German

Postby LordSupafly » Sat 03.10.2012 1:38 am

Every forum has to have an antagonist...

Feel free to gang up on me, but I like Naruto - yes, the anime! :o
I've watched it since the first episode and only in Japanese. But if you take out all the fillers (which I realize is like half the episodes :( ) - it is a great story.

No doubt there were good times and bad times, but just because it got popular doesn't mean it's junk.

If you want to talk overrated, someone mentioned Inuyasha and I can go with that. Did I watch them all? Yes. Could they have accomplished the same thing in like 26 episodes? Yes. Not to mention the music was terrible.
LordSupafly

Native language: English

Postby komugi » Thu 01.03.2013 10:45 am

there are a BUNCH of them

Naruto
Bleach
One Piece
InuYasha
Ah Megamisama (Oh My Goddess)
all the Pokemon derivatives
etc

they start out with a great story idea and for the first few volumes they are really good ... but by the time the first few years worth are done the original story idea has been done to death and all that is left is endless filler ep's and the same old plot devices done to the 417th very minor variation

for example ... in Ah Megamisama, Keiichi has STILL not graduated from college after 20+ years ... and after 20+ years of living with two totally hot goddesses, either of whom would happily doink him silly, he is STILL a virgin

the fact that these series last 20-30 years or more is because they are proof that their fans are as mindless as the series are
narutards2.jpg
narutards2.jpg (104.38 KiB) Viewed 2118 times
komugi

Postby phreadom » Thu 01.03.2013 3:02 pm

I hope you realize that I'm a huge Naruto fan. ;)

Naruto generally has a complex plot that involves geopolitics, morality tales, coming of age stories, sacrifice, death, suffering, the very meaning of good, evil, and life itself etc... some of the plot points have literally been developed over YEARS to the point where when you realize what's going on it absolutely blows your mind (the continuing evolution of the Tobi plot line, and the Uchiha Itachi plot line are two good examples).

The art in the manga is some of the best I've ever seen in any manga ever (I rank it up there with the architectural art I love from Katsuhiro Otomo)... and I say that as an artist myself. It is the only ongoing manga I read and anime I watch. And while I admit that some of the ANIME FILLERS (which aren't part of the manga) can be low quality at times to put it mildly, I've still watched every single one because sometimes they'll actually fill in part of the story that was left untold in the manga etc.

I try not to bash on manga or anime I don't watch if they're just not my style because to each their own. :bow:

WARNING: SPOILERS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naruto#Plot (and I cannot stress how oversimplified that plot summary is) ;)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby komugi » Fri 01.04.2013 9:59 am

phreadom wrote:I hope you realize that I'm a huge Naruto fan. ;)
;)

I fully realize that Naruto ... just like others I mentioned ... each have their legions of "truly devoted followers" who see the deepest secrets of the universe revealed just to them in their favorite manga ... :P :roll:

Glen Beck also has his legion of "true devotees" ... so does Rush Limbaugh, Howard Stern, Ann Coulter, President Obama, Hillary Clinton, etc ... :lol: :P :roll: :wink: :whistle:

"true believers" will always be loyal to their chosen belief system and it's figurehead :lol:

as a kid in the early 1960's I remember very well all the "new" comics that came out by the upstart companies like Marvel ... and the "old standards" that had already been around for decades like Superman and Batman
... by the early-mid 1980's I had stopped reading the main stream American comics because they had all turned to crap (most of the stories had already changed so much that they did not even resemble the original great story idea) ... and yes I know there are legions of fans of all those comics who will scream "HERETIC" at me for not thinking they are the most wonderful literature ever produced, given to mankind directly from the hand of GOD himself
... and I remember how great the stories were coming out of the "independent" comic producers like WARP Graphics (the original Elfquest series) ... and how because of greed on the part of those comic companies those stories also turned to crap after a number of years, and many disappeared completely
... by the late 80's-early 90's I had discovered manga, series like Oh My Goddess and others that were around back then ... and over the years I have seen that the Japanese mangaka have learned their lessons very well from the American comic companies ... that is IS very possible to run a story to death for more than 20 years because a small but fanatical group of loyal devotees will sing its praises to the heavens

the rest of us moved on ... we discovered wonderful Japanese stories that had a beginning ... a middle ... and an end ... like Chobits, K-On!, Usagi Drop, Another, Deus Vitae, and others

another one that I have been reading for a few years now is getting ready to end (Kodomo no Jikan) ... the artist has already said this is the final volume ... and I both admire and respect her for not planning on dragging the story out for another 20+ years ... it has been a great story, but it is already showing signs of "repeat-osis" in story ideas

even "Lord of the Rings" ... arguably one of the greatest stories ever written ... had a beginning, a middle, and an end :)
Last edited by komugi on Fri 01.11.2013 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
komugi

Postby phreadom » Fri 01.04.2013 4:49 pm

I'm also an Usagi Drop fan. ;)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Previous

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions