Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Tapatalk

Tapatalk

Do you have any suggestions to the page's content and such?

Tapatalk

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 01.25.2013 2:19 am

Is there any possibility that this forum will ever be compatible with Tapatalk? It would make it oodles easier to use from phones.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Re: Tapatalk

Postby phreadom » Fri 01.25.2013 10:18 am

Mike Cash wrote:Is there any possibility that this forum will ever be compatible with Tapatalk? It would make it oodles easier to use from phones.

I can look into it. The problem is that while tapatalk does support PHPBB, which this forum uses... this copy of the forum is customized to run embedded within the main site. So it becomes trickier to use any other mods along with that.

I can look at whether or not it would be a fairly simple manual mod, but beyond that I can't make any promises. :/

EDIT: Do you require push notifications? It looks like it might be a lot easier to add in if I skip that aspect of it.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 01.25.2013 6:30 pm

Push would be nice but it isn't entirely necessary.

I was just thinking that the ability to more easily access and participate in the forum via phones might help to boost usage of the forum. The world increasingly expects to have net content at its fingertips, and the forum as currently configured is really difficult and annoying to try to use on something like an iPhone. TJP was one of the first places I bookmarked about three years ago when I got an iPhone, but the awkwardness of accessing via Safari has been a large factor in my near total lack of participation the last few years.

I get the impression that forum use has declined and can't help but wonder if it is not due in large part to having fallen behind the times in terms of technologically meeting users' changing needs/expectations.

The clean and easy interface from Tapatalk might help, although I will warn that Japanese input isn't quite ideal on it.
Mike Cash

Postby phreadom » Fri 01.25.2013 7:32 pm

Honestly that's partly my fault because I still don't have a smart phone of my own... so I have no easy way of testing any such changes or I would probably have already tackled that. :sweatdrop:

But yeah, it's really been on my mind a lot as I watch the general shift toward mobile these days.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 01.27.2013 11:40 am

Looking over the dates of posts pulled up by checking the "Unread Posts" feature, it looks as though this forum had pretty much died already. Let's hope getting with the mobile era can do something to revive it.
Mike Cash

Postby phreadom » Sun 01.27.2013 1:03 pm

Well, I've dropped it in... not sure how it will work due to the embedded stuff.

Basically there are a lot of software workarounds on the back-end because while the website thinks the address is tjp.com/forum/ it's actually tjp.com/phpbb/ and all the URLs are rewritten internally.

Further, the actual forum theme headers are stripped and discarded because the forum is embedded in the main site. So the Drupal main site headers are used instead. So I had to drop the javascript include further down in the template to still have it be loaded. The only other route is to alter the main site headers with conditionals by URL... which gets back to the aforementioned forum / phpbb URL issue etc...

Further, since I don't have a phone to test it on, I had to have Joey in the chat have a look... and since he didn't have the app, he could only say that it said something to him about the app, but that without it the site still just looks like usual.

So I'll leave it to you to have a look at it and see how horribly mangled it might be... or if by some magic stroke of luck it actually works. :P

Let me know what you discover. ^_^
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 01.27.2013 10:34 pm

I am unable to find the forum listed on the app.
Mike Cash

Postby phreadom » Sun 01.27.2013 11:49 pm

Ok, I've submitted it to their site.

However, I had to submit the URL using the /phpbb/ part, which I have a feeling is going to break things, but we'll see. :/
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 01.28.2013 3:50 am

The site is listed now, but I am unable to login. I keep getting prompted for a capcha code and those don't display on Tapatalk.
Mike Cash

Postby phreadom » Mon 01.28.2013 11:34 am

Mike Cash wrote:The site is listed now, but I am unable to login. I keep getting prompted for a capcha code and those don't display on Tapatalk.

Maybe when my cousin and his wife return from Disney with the smart phones I'll be able to do some testing and get this figured out... (he's a fellow Japanese learner and TJP member)

http://support.tapatalk.com/threads/captcha.5105/

In the meantime you might try the final option on that thread. Basically your main computer probably has cookies saved with your session so that you get signed in no problem... so if you clear those so that it makes you sign in again and solve the captcha on your main computer, than you should be good to go on tapatalk.

If that doesn't work I might have to revisit the captcha settings for the forum logins and see if there isn't a balance to be had (but that might need to wait for the smartphones to come back home for testing).
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions