Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 「と思う」と「という風に思う」

「と思う」と「という風に思う」

Do you have a translation question?

「と思う」と「という風に思う」

Postby sampaguita » Thu 02.21.2013 9:31 pm

In interviews, I often hear the expression

<sentence> という風に思う

I know that いう風に means "in that way", so this would literally mean "I think in the way that <sentence>". However, when these interviews are subtitled in Japanese, the "いう風に" is not included.

When I see "<sentence> という風に思う", I translate them as "I think <sentence>". I don't really see the need for "いう風に", but is there a nuance here that I'm not capturing? Thanks in advance!
sampaguita

Re: 「と思う」と「という風に思う」

Postby NileCat » Sat 02.23.2013 8:08 am

In those interviews, the difference would be like between these:

That’s an euphemistic expression.
That’s like an euphemistic expression.
That’s a kind of euphemistic expression.
That's like, a kind of euphemistic expression, I guess.

There is no big difference in reality, however, the nuance would differ depending on the context. It is usually used to soften the tone of the words, though.
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby furrykef » Sat 02.23.2013 10:34 am

My own suspicion was it's like the difference between "I think" and "I guess", but I didn't want to suggest it while having absolutely nothing to back it up.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby sampaguita » Sun 02.24.2013 10:13 am

I hear that expression so often that I didn't think of posting an actual example! But anyway, here is one example I was able to transcribe (it came from an interview):

とにかくミスなくしっかりと最後まで集中しきる、それがいま自分にとって大事だなっていう風に思うので。。。

How will this sentence be different if I removed いう風に?
sampaguita

Postby NileCat » Sun 02.24.2013 1:35 pm

Although I’m not that fluent in English to translate the nuance, I could say that it (っていう風に) would sound relatively “young” in that sentence, which means it slightly sounds like ah...
<pros>
1. casual or unpretentious
2. soft
3. not being insolent or “attitudinal”
4. modern or contemporary
<cons>
1. unsure or unconfident
2. (slightly) too casual (in some cases)
3. irresponsible
4. (slightly) uneducated (if you use it too often)

I know you already know the "literal" meaning. What I'm trying to explain is about the "nuance" in our real life situation. Semantically speaking, there is no big difference. It is used unconsciously as something like a "smoother" of that kind of conversational sentence.
That’s why subtitle-makers usually ignore the word. Do you know what I mean? :roll:
NileCat

Native language: Japanese

Postby sampaguita » Sun 02.24.2013 9:21 pm

NileCat wrote:Although I’m not that fluent in English to translate the nuance, I could say that it (っていう風に) would sound relatively “young” in that sentence, which means it slightly sounds like ah...
<pros>
1. casual or unpretentious
2. soft
3. not being insolent or “attitudinal”
4. modern or contemporary
<cons>
1. unsure or unconfident
2. (slightly) too casual (in some cases)
3. irresponsible
4. (slightly) uneducated (if you use it too often)

I know you already know the "literal" meaning. What I'm trying to explain is about the "nuance" in our real life situation. Semantically speaking, there is no big difference. It is used unconsciously as something like a "smoother" of that kind of conversational sentence.
That’s why subtitle-makers usually ignore the word. Do you know what I mean? :roll:

Ah, so something like the difference between "I think..." and "I guess...", just like furrykef said. I think that would capture the nuance, don't you think?
sampaguita

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion