Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - :) Translating what I ate.

:) Translating what I ate.

Do you have a translation question?

:) Translating what I ate.

Postby Curry_Girl » Wed 03.20.2013 1:03 am

I'm wanting to start writing posts on my blog about things I do daily, and I translated what I had for dinner. I was wanting to know if this sounded awkward in any way. (I'm not doing any short form for these at the moment.)

今日は、ばんごはんのコンビーフを食べました。アイルランドの食べ物です。ブリスケットです。八時間ぐらい煮ます。マスタードと、にんじん、ポテト、キャベジを食べます。

This is the English I started with:
Today I ate corned beef for dinner. Corned beef is an Irish food. It is a brisket. You boil it for about 8 hours. It is eaten with mustard, carrots, potatoes, and cabbage.

:) I know it's a little bit silly of a thing to want to translate, but any practice and help with mistakes is good right?
Curry_Girl

Native language: American English

Re: :) Translating what I ate.

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Wed 03.20.2013 1:26 am

FWIW,
I think it's better to say
アイルランドの料理です
食べ物 seems to be 'something that can be eaten', while 料理 is 'cuisine'. Or maybe it doesn't help to make English equivalents, but at any rate, the food from a particular nation is usually 料理.

マスタードと、にんじん、ポテト、キャベジを食べます。

This sentence is a bit off, it looks like 'I will eat mustard, carrots, potatoes, and cabbage.'
You probably want,
コンビーフはふつうにマスタードとにんじん、ポテトにキャベツといっしょにたべています。
(Corned beef is usually eaten together with mustard, carrots, potatoes, and cabbage.)
(I'm not sure if ジャガイモ is better than ポテト or vice versa... I hear ジャガイモ more, but not in the context of the Irish boiled dinner so...)

Your very first sentence is, I think, correct enough....
今日は、ばんごはんのコンビーフを食べました。
However, you should avoid the temptation to make a period of time a topic. (It would be appropriate if it were more like, 今日は聖パトリックの日でコンビーフを食べました,
as that creates a special contrast, but ordinarily time designations can and should be used without a particle. You should have a specific reason for assigning a particle to a time designation. I had to fight that habit too; I'm not sure why it's natural for English speakers to think times need a particle.

I'm not really sure about the brisket sentence... it's true enough, corned beef is a cured brisket, but I don't know if that Japanese sentence conveys that fact. As a cook (and half-irish at that!) it's kind of shameful that I don't know how to write that sentence, but... somehow, I have a sense that it's insufficient but beyond my abilities to recommend a better sentence.
SomeCallMeChris

Native language: English

Postby Curry_Girl » Wed 03.20.2013 1:32 am

x: Lol the particle on 今日 was because someone told me that's how I needed to use it. x.x I won't use it anymore then. Thank you for your help, but some of that I can't understand. I have a limited knowledge of kanji. XD I'm still trying to figure out the grammar mostly.
Curry_Girl

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Wed 03.20.2013 2:05 am

料理=りょうり=cooking,cuisine
聖=せい=holy,saint(ed)

I can't really explain when you should use 今日は vs just using 今日、 ... I have a probably imperfect sense of it and no good rules.

You should consider installing the rikai-chan plugin so that you can point your mouse at kanji words and get the kana at least, and an English translation as well if you install the EDICT dictionary module. It's dangerous to think that rikai-chan lets you understand Japanese just by popping up some English word-equivalent candidates, but... it can be helpful.

Also, of course, any online text you're reading can be cut and pasted into sites like http://dic.yahoo.co.jp or http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi- ... dic.cgi?1C
SomeCallMeChris

Native language: English

Postby Curry_Girl » Wed 03.20.2013 2:08 am

:) Thank you
Curry_Girl

Postby Ongakuka » Wed 03.20.2013 8:04 am

In the context of a blog I think 今日は works very well. The particle emphasizes that it's like 'today's entry.'

You can put 'it is eaten with' >> マスタードと、にんじん、ポテト、キャベツといっしょに食べます。

it's easy to accidentally say キャベジ instead of キャベツ so be careful! :)
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Curry_Girl » Wed 03.20.2013 1:13 pm

:D Thank you as well!
Curry_Girl

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion