Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - 背を疾り抜ける とは + Jap keyboard question

背を疾り抜ける とは + Jap keyboard question

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

背を疾り抜ける とは + Jap keyboard question

Postby QuakerBits » Mon 04.08.2013 11:30 am

どうも皆さん。このメッセージには半分日本語で書いたいと思います。

最近の読んでるマンガ「神々の山嶺(1)」から不安な言葉とぶつかったんです。それは ”背を疾り抜ける” で問題は「疾る」という動詞で調べようとするとあんまり見つけらないですね。どうやって発音すればいいとか分かりません。たとえ辞書によって「シツ、はや・い」だけの音訓が示してあります。意味は、文脈から見れば英語で "Goose bumps/The hair on my back stood up"を読んでると思います。

So now I got a question about the japanese keyboard. Well I'm not using one, but the japanese input, etc. I'm confused why I can't type certain words and names n what not?? for instance, for the title of this manga I'm reading, the 「嶺」 in 「山嶺」doesn't show up when I type in さんれい, I have to type each separate. On my iPod I can pull it up though! Curious if there's any thing i can do for this? I tried searching in the past but couldn't find much >_<

では、よろしくお願います :bow:
QuakerBits

Native language: 英語

Re: 背を疾り抜ける とは + Jap keyboard question

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Mon 04.08.2013 10:31 pm

山嶺 converts perfectly fine for me using Google's Japanese IME, which is my primary IME and I recommend it. There is also the Baidu IME (from yahoo.co.jp), which is nice, and has the best handwriting recognition of the three big free IMEs (Microsoft, Google, Baidu.)

In Japan, apparently most people purchase an IME, but I haven't -quite- felt the need.
Anyway, I haven't used the microsoft IME for a long time so I couldn't say -how-, but you should be able to add words to a user dictionary. There's an 'add word' menu item on the 'tools' menu of the language bar for the Google IME anyway.

As for your 疾る, I feel like it's a kanji error - I don't know if the wrong character was printed or if you misread it. Without more context I can't tell what's going on, but I'd start looking for the word with a search of words ending in りぬける and -- assuming it is a printing error and you don't find that you missed a stroke somewhere -- I'd ignore the kanji completely.

This search may help you get started.
http://dic.search.yahoo.co.jp/dsearch?e ... ype=suffix
SomeCallMeChris

Native language: English

Postby hariharidax2 » Mon 04.08.2013 11:38 pm

"背を疾り抜ける" pronounced "せをはしりぬける"

"疾る" = "はしる" (same as 走る)
I'ts means "run fast".

This word came from "疾風"
"疾風" means "gale"

Then,"疾る" means "run fast like a gale".

"背を疾り抜ける" = "run through back"

It's usualy used,
"shudder run through back" or etc.

"疾る" = "はしる" is not formality reading.
I'ts just a literal expression.

Not a missprint or misread.
hariharidax2

Native language: japanese

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Tue 04.09.2013 12:23 am

hariharidax2, your answers are amazing. Even for a native speaker your answers show greatly detailed knowledge of language and history.

If you happen to have a chance, please check the thread titled スープ as I'm not at all satisfied with my understanding of the material being asked about.
SomeCallMeChris

Native language: English

Postby QuakerBits » Tue 04.09.2013 9:14 pm

SomeCallMeChris wrote:There is also the Baidu IME (from yahoo.co.jp), which is nice, and has the best handwriting recognition of the three big free IMEs (Microsoft, Google, Baidu.)

THANK YOU m( _ _ )m !!!!!!! Baidu is amazing!!! I had no idea what IME was or if I could even change it until now lol. Crappy MS IME is now gone(well just removed from the language list thingy lol)

hariharidax2 wrote:"背を疾り抜ける" pronounced "せをはしりぬける"

"疾る" = "はしる" (same as 走る)
I'ts means "run fast".

This word came from "疾風"
"疾風" means "gale"

Then,"疾る" means "run fast like a gale".

"背を疾り抜ける" = "run through back"

It's usualy used,
"shudder run through back" or etc.

"疾る" = "はしる" is not formality reading.
I'ts just a literal expression.

Not a missprint or misread.

Very easy and simple to understand, thank you :bow: ! I'm surprised the manga didn't use ふりがな to display the readings on such a word.
QuakerBits

Native language: 英語

Postby shin1ro » Tue 07.02.2013 11:44 am

In my 漢和辞典 that 疾 kanji doesn't read nor mean はしる (to run) (but means はやい or とし(archaic) quick etc).

疾 for はしる (to run) may be a reading that Jiro Akagawa, a popular mystery writer has coined in his novel titled ”鼠、江戸を疾る” (Nezumi, Edo o Hashiru).

You can read the small hiragana of the title in cover design of the book.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E9%BC%A0%E3%80 ... 4048735829

But I don't thinks it's already accepted in general without furigana. I mean, it's still a very tricky reading. But many native Japanese people can guess it should be read as hashiru because of its okurigana り that suggests the only candidate for the verb is はしる.

So, I don't blame on IME or any dictionaries if the word is not found in them.

-shin1ro
英語がおかしければご指摘ください(日本語も...)。サンキュ〜 ;-)
shin1ro

Native language: Japanese

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems