Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Secondhand Item Stigma in Japan

Secondhand Item Stigma in Japan

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Secondhand Item Stigma in Japan

Postby Tamrink » Wed 04.10.2013 11:44 am

Hi all i was wondering do you feel there is a stigma towards secondhand items in Japan?

Also could you please do my 5 minute survey for my dissertation?

Hi all,
I am studying Secondhand Item Behaviour in Japan as part of my Dissertation Project and i was hoping some people could complete my survey for me. I would also be very appreciative if you could pass this on to other Japanese people.

http://www.survey.bris.ac.uk/uclan/reuseinjapan

Thank you,
Aaron Connor

拝啓、
私は四年生です。イギリスのユクラン(UCLAN) で勉強しています。このアンケートは私の最終的なプロジェクトの一部です。焦点は、日 本の中古品の態度や行動についてです。
5分程度かかります。5月5日までにアンケートに記入をお願いします。
18歳以上のだれもがアンケートに記入できます。研究の質は応答の大きさに比例する ので、より多くの人にこのアンケートを伝えてください。このウェブアドレスをお使いくだ さい。よろしくお願いします。

http://www.survey.bris.ac.uk/uclan/reuseinjapan

あなたの答えは自主的であり、すべての情報は秘密です 。答で個人が識別されません。すべての情報がグループとして収集します。
ご協力ありがとうございました。
謹言、
Aaron Connor
Tamrink

Native language: Emglish

Re: Secondhand Item Stigma in Japan

Postby Ongakuka » Thu 04.11.2013 4:50 am

Hi all i was wondering do you feel there is a stigma towards secondhand items in Japan?

I would say no, because there are a huge number of secondhand shops to be found both in the country and in big cities. It is possible that, many years ago during Japan's economic boom, such a stigma did exist (this is just my guess, you should ask other people about that.)

In Japan cleanliness and presentation are very important, so items that look worn down will not be attractive to Japanese people generally speaking. This is why even secondhand stores will often be stocked with pretty well kept items. In other words, if there is a stigma, I would argue that it be more to the actual quality of the item than whether it was used a lot beforehand.
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Return to General off topic