Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - JLPT Kanji lists

JLPT Kanji lists

The test - experiences, questions or comments

JLPT Kanji lists

Postby jimbreen » Sun 04.14.2013 10:24 pm

About 15 months ago there was a discussion of the lists of kanji for the various levels, particularly with the shift to 5 levels. I indicated at the time that I'd be happy to update the KANJIDIC tags if there was a reliable breakdown available (many apps and sites use that data.)

Is there a reliable source available now? I have been pointed to sites such as http://www.tanos.co.uk/jlpt/jlpt5/kanji/ but frankly I don't know how reliable they are for using as a source of new tagging.

I don't follow the JLPT scene, so I'd appreciate advice.

Cheers

Jim
jimbreen

Re: JLPT Kanji lists

Postby sampaguita » Mon 04.15.2013 4:01 am

Obenkyo on Android classifies kanji based on the new JLPT levels. I don't know where they got the info though (I thought it was from kanjidic!).
sampaguita

Postby clay » Tue 04.16.2013 8:39 am

Jonathon at Tanos told me (if memory serves...) he built the lists based on estimated numbers given by the test makers and what kanji were assigned to the old levels. It should be close, but it isn't official.

As far as I know, they still haven't released an official list.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby jimbreen » Tue 04.16.2013 8:04 pm

clay wrote:Jonathon at Tanos told me (if memory serves...) he built the lists based on estimated numbers given by the test makers and what kanji were assigned to the old levels. It should be close, but it isn't official.

As far as I know, they still haven't released an official list.

Thanks, I was going to ask Jonathon after enquiring around. I suspect that no "official" list will be issued.

Jim
jimbreen

Postby phreadom » Wed 04.17.2013 12:42 pm

jimbreen wrote:I suspect that no "official" list will be issued.

That appears to be the case from everything I've read.

From http://www.jlpt.jp/e/faq/index.html#anchor28

Why is "Test Content Specifications" no longer available after the 2010 revision of the JLPT?

We believe that the ultimate goal of studying Japanese is to use the language to communicate rather than simply memorizing vocabulary, kanji and grammar items. Based on this idea, the JLPT measures "language knowledge such as characters, vocabulary and grammar" as well as "competence to perform communicative tasks by using the language knowledge." Therefore, we decided that publishing "Test Content Specifications" containing a list of vocabulary, kanji and grammar items was not necessarily appropriate. As information to replace "Summary of Linguistic Competence Required for Each Level" and "Composition of test items" are available. Please also refer to "Sample Questions."
In addition, since levels of the current test correspond to those of the old test through 2009 in terms of passing lines, old test questions and "Test Content Specifications" for the old test can provide useful information.
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby jimbreen » Fri 04.19.2013 10:55 pm

phreadom wrote:
jimbreen wrote:I suspect that no "official" list will be issued.

That appears to be the case from everything I've read.

From http://www.jlpt.jp/e/faq/index.html#anchor28

Thanks for the confirmation. After discussing this with a few people I have decided to leave the "old' 4-level tagging in KANJIDIC, and to add an explanation to the documentation. It will be up to app developers, etc. to decide how they use the data and how it is presented to users.

Jim
jimbreen

Return to Japanese Language Proficiency Test