Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Genki Question

Genki Question

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Genki Question

Postby Glymere » Sun 04.28.2013 1:15 am

So I'm looking at buying Genki, and I know the second edition is better. But as a beginner should I get the Japanese and English Version? Also what all materials come along with the book?
Glymere

Native language: English

Re: Genki Question

Postby Shiroisan » Sun 04.28.2013 2:54 am

Glymere wrote:as a beginner should I get the Japanese and English Version?

There is no other version. Just make sure that it's the second edition and you're good to go. It's perfect for a complete beginner.

Also what all materials come along with the book?

Although the "answer" book is technically sold separately, for most questions it's not needed as the answers for most of the exercises (grammar, etc.) can be listened to through the included CD. However, if you want the answers to EVERYTHING (such as the true/ false questions or reading section answers) you'd have to buy the answer book separately, or find one.

If you also wish to purchase the workbook, you unfortunately cannot use the cd to find the answers like you can with the main textbook. The "answers" are located in the same answer book as mentioned above. That being said, I personally rarely felt the need for an answer key, because if I was confused I could simply flip back to the lesson and re-read the grammar explanation. The explanations were always clear so I never had any problems.

If you have any more questions feel free
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips