Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Difference between とはいえ and といえども

Difference between とはいえ and といえども

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Difference between とはいえ and といえども

Postby ThePacster » Mon 05.06.2013 12:34 am

Hello there everyone.

Making another attempt at N1 this summer (missed it by two points last time :x ), and I've been brushing up on my grammar.

However, I can't for the life of me discern the difference between 「とはいえ」 and 「といえども」.

Looking Japanese dictionaries and a few of my grammar books, they both essentially mean 「といっても」 or 「とはいうものの」, which makes me even more lost. :shock:

If anyone could shed some light on the differences in their usage, it would be greatly appreciated.
ThePacster

Re: Difference between とはいえ and といえども

Postby Ongakuka » Mon 05.06.2013 1:08 am

The test won't ask you the difference between them, so I recommend focusing on something else :)

For とはいへ I found this explanation:

先行の事柄に対して、それを認めつつも、それにやや反したり矛盾したりする事柄を述べるのに用いる。そうはいっても。けれども。とはいうものの。
Try reading some examples with that nuance in mind :)

いへども is exactly the same as とはいっても except more academic (probably derives from Classical Japanese)

I suggest doing past papers again and again. All my best
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby ThePacster » Mon 05.06.2013 1:26 am

Thanks for the post.

I see where you pulled that definition from, and ironically the best explanation came from the one dictionary I seldom use. :P I'll have to remember to start using it more. With that in mind, I think I've found something that helps differentiate the two in my head.

I'm sure no one will ever ask me to tell the difference between them, but I have a bad habit of wanting to break things down to a submolecular level if I can't immediately grasp their basic usage, even if it's completely unnecessary. Thank you so much!
ThePacster

Postby Ongakuka » Mon 05.06.2013 2:54 am

I see where you pulled that definition from, and ironically the best explanation came from the one dictionary I seldom use.

Yeah I should have just linked it or at least sourced it :sweatdrop: didn't mean to try and pass that as my own definition. I'm the same, I don't really use Yahoo, just Goo, which surprisingly didn't have much to offer this time round.

If you ever wanna discuss more grammar stuff or words, come to TJP chat! :wave:
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems