Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - ただいま~

ただいま~

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

ただいま~

Postby Pork Chop » Mon 04.29.2013 6:22 pm

Been a long time since I haunted this forum.
Thought I'd drop a note to say "hi" and maybe re-connect with old study-buddies.
Trying to get back into studying again, but my schedule doesn't allow for being able to make any of the local Japanese classes, unfortunately.
Been working on Basic Kanji Book 1 for the last couple of weeks, mostly as review.
I figure after I finish the BKB 2 I'll start working on the old JLPT 3級 book from Unicom.
By then I should be all caught back up and be able to start studying for N3 or N2.
We'll see how far I can get in the next couple months, may even try to test this winter if I'm able to make progress by July.
Hope everyone's doing well.
Look forward to chatting with all the new members.
これからもよろしくお願いします!
Pork Chop
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu 05.31.2007 5:10 pm

Re: ただいま~

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Tue 04.30.2013 12:02 am

Well, I've certainly dropped and picked up active study numerous times. I think classes are overrated, but, if they help motivate you then that's fine. However, the thing that helps me the most is keeping up with my anki deck; even if I don't study anything else, I work through reviews on my anki deck every day (not to say I always get it down to zero reviews due, but I always do at least a few and -usually- all of them for the day).

Studying new stuff is great, but after a couple long periods of not studying I learned the hard way how badly months without contact with Japanese can erode your efforts. My Anki deck is (among other things) my way of making sure I don't forget what I've learned. Anyways, if you're likely to have periods of not studying I definitely encourage you to have an SRS that you can at least keep up your reviews for a few minutes a day on.
SomeCallMeChris
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue 08.09.2011 12:54 pm
Native language: English

Re: ただいま~

Postby Pork Chop » Tue 04.30.2013 10:48 am

I experimented with Anki and iKnow about the same time, 2006~2007ish.
While I had some short term success using the iKnow system, the Anki system never did much for me at all.
I know I"m probably unusual in that sense - most Japanese language learners I know swear by their Anki decks.
Maybe I'll give it another shot, I dunno.
I think that SRS works best when you're consistent and that's one of my biggest problems.
I find that I work best with a workbook type of format, active Q&A really burns it in my memory.
For kanji, I need the actual tactile feel of writing it, something like Heisig only helps me so much.
I tend to like classes because they encourage me to study stuff that I wouldn't normally study & they help me structure a study schedule.

I never really fully get away from Japanese - my wife's Japanese, she's constantly trying to speak it around our kids, we watch a lot of Japanese movies/tv, have a lot of Japanese music, and I read a bunch of blogs & stuff.
Thing is, when I'm not actively studying, I'm barely maintaining and I can feel it slipping away little by little - especially kanji.
I get lazy with the Rikaichan/Rikaikun browser plugin. :)
Pork Chop
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu 05.31.2007 5:10 pm

Re: ただいま~

Postby pauro03 » Tue 04.30.2013 3:19 pm

Pork Chop wrote:Been a long time since I haunted this forum.
Thought I'd drop a note to say "hi" and maybe re-connect with old study-buddies.
Trying to get back into studying again, but my schedule doesn't allow for being able to make any of the local Japanese classes, unfortunately.
Been working on Basic Kanji Book 1 for the last couple of weeks, mostly as review.
I figure after I finish the BKB 2 I'll start working on the old JLPT 3級 book from Unicom.
By then I should be all caught back up and be able to start studying for N3 or N2.
We'll see how far I can get in the next couple months, may even try to test this winter if I'm able to make progress by July.
Hope everyone's doing well.
Look forward to chatting with all the new members.
これからもよろしくお願いします!



パウロです、新しいの人です。よろしくお願いします!
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」
User avatar
pauro03
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon 04.08.2013 9:40 am
Native language: NA

Re: ただいま~

Postby Pork Chop » Wed 05.01.2013 10:43 pm

pauro03 wrote:パウロです、新しいの人です。よろしくお願いします!

はじめましてパウロさん!
Pork Chop
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu 05.31.2007 5:10 pm

Re: ただいま~

Postby pauro03 » Sat 05.04.2013 2:43 pm

Pork Chop wrote:
pauro03 wrote:パウロです、新しいの人です。よろしくお願いします!

はじめましてパウロさん!


はいはい!はじめまして。:)じゃ、あなたの本物のなまえは何ですか。:)
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」
User avatar
pauro03
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon 04.08.2013 9:40 am
Native language: NA

Re: ただいま~

Postby Pork Chop » Sun 05.05.2013 1:35 pm

pauro03 wrote:
Pork Chop wrote:
pauro03 wrote:パウロです、新しいの人です。よろしくお願いします!

はじめましてパウロさん!


はいはい!はじめまして。:)じゃ、あなたの本物のなまえは何ですか。:)

私の名前はエリックですけど普通友達にPorkChopと呼ばれています。
(わたしのなまえはエリックですけどふつうともだちにPorkChopとよばれています)
:D
Pork Chop
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu 05.31.2007 5:10 pm

Re: ただいま~

Postby pauro03 » Sun 05.05.2013 1:46 pm

そうですか、じゃよろしくねエリックさん。:)あh!ちょっと、あなたの人は何ですか。:)私はフィリピン人です。:)
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」
User avatar
pauro03
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon 04.08.2013 9:40 am
Native language: NA

Re: ただいま~

Postby Pork Chop » Wed 05.08.2013 10:09 pm

白人ですけど
(はくじんですけど)
Pork Chop
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu 05.31.2007 5:10 pm

Re: ただいま~

Postby pauro03 » Fri 05.10.2013 12:31 pm

はく?はくは何ですか?
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」
User avatar
pauro03
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon 04.08.2013 9:40 am
Native language: NA

Re: ただいま~

Postby Pork Chop » Fri 05.10.2013 2:21 pm

白 = はく、 白い = しろい、= white
Pork Chop
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu 05.31.2007 5:10 pm

Re: ただいま~

Postby pauro03 » Fri 05.10.2013 2:34 pm

Okay, well then that explains everything.. There weren't quite few people being active in this forum, but there are some do.. xD Though, I really want to learn Japanese more for some reasons and a goal that seems to be so impossible but couldn't just quit the crap out of it.. hehehe...
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」
User avatar
pauro03
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon 04.08.2013 9:40 am
Native language: NA


Return to Introductions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests