Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - When do you use deshou?

When do you use deshou?

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

When do you use deshou?

Postby pauro03 » Mon 05.27.2013 10:11 pm

I've been using deshou so many times, but I used it as something that ask for an approval of an action like synonymous to 'isn't it'. but I've heard native speakers use this in statements as well like it was interchangeable with desu.. So my question is what are the usage and true meaning of deshou? Thanks!
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」
pauro03

Native language: NA

Re: When do you use deshou?

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Mon 05.27.2013 11:04 pm

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=japanese+deshou

It's really quite rude to post basic questions on multiple forums simultaneously, especially when you know perfectly well you're going to read the answers on only one forum. And in this case the question is so basic it's pointless to ask. At least read something about it first, and come to the forums if you still have questions then.
SomeCallMeChris

Native language: English

Postby Shiroisan » Tue 05.28.2013 1:56 am

hahaha Don't stop him, I find his learning method fascinating and I've never seen anything like it... :D
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Tue 05.28.2013 2:01 am

There is an amusing aspect to it, I admit. I do try to laugh it off and not post such responses most of the time, but I feel he's not aware of how many people are laughing at him and not with him.
SomeCallMeChris

Native language: English

Postby pauro03 » Tue 05.28.2013 4:39 am

Because not all forum sites will give you answers that you expect... And worst, some forum sites will give you answers not related to the questions and is as good as ignoring... Go check if I have had done this before.. I've done this for the first time.. Why? people on some other forum sites will give you bad replies.. At least with 10 sites that you've visited and asked, you can guarantee that there will be at least one site that will answer your question... Of course you will expect as well some arrogant people will try to mock you as well, like .... oh well never mind... Who cares if I don't know でしょう?I want to learn more... I was confused with my research because I guess I don't get what they mean, so I seek help on some people who knows it.. At least if they will give proper replies, I would be able to question back if there is something that still confuses me like the one that I've researched.. So I guess it's not rude to ask same question on more forum sites, perhaps it was never written on any rules that this is not to be done.. Lastly, the board says "Learning Japanese", so I have the rights to ask any question related to learning, whether it is a dumb question or an advance question... Oh well, at least you all have the rights to ignore my post though which is more appreciating than posting something like that...
pauro03

Postby Ongakuka » Tue 05.28.2013 4:46 am

でしょう indicates what you think is probably true.

I doubt you'll get a poorer explanation than that, but it should be enough to go on if you're reading Japanese example sentences and hopefully it will click in time.
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby pauro03 » Tue 05.28.2013 5:09 am

Ongakuka wrote:でしょう indicates what you think is probably true.

I doubt you'll get a poorer explanation than that, but it should be enough to go on if you're reading Japanese example sentences and hopefully it will click in time.

I actually know some uses of deshou, I used to use it similar to that of 'isn't it?' in English.. Until such time that I've heard it used in an ending of an statement.. That's when I got confused.. The subtitles were like this, "You know what happened." and when said in japanese, the statement ends with deshou.. Plus the tone of the actor pertains really that it was some kind of statement that he utters... Thanks for the help!
pauro03

Postby Shiroisan » Tue 05.28.2013 5:12 am

流石、本気でする音楽家です。えらいですね。ごめんなさい
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems