Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Which book?

Which book?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Which book?

Postby Reggie » Wed 03.16.2005 5:53 pm

Hi, I've been studying Japanese on this site for a couple of weeks now and I've decided to get a book. I was just wondering what a good well-rounded book was. Is there any book in particular that teaches both grammar and kanji or would I have to buy them separate? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reggie

RE: Which book?

Postby toryn » Thu 03.17.2005 12:29 am

Since you want to learn kanji, it sounds as though you already know both hiragana and katakana (if not, it's probably a good idea to learn these first, they're not too difficult, and there are a lot of beginners books/sites to teach you them).

However, if you've only been learning Japanese for a few weeks, maybe you ought to start off slowly. In my junior/beginner course books (we used Kimono) we learnt hiragana and katakana, as well as a few basic kanji (family, numbers, positions, days of the week). Now we're studying from Wakatta (this is an Australian book, btw). Wakatta has 175 or 185 kanji, something like that, and around 8 or 10 grammar points per chapter, in 12 chapters. It's a great book if you already know the basics of Japanese (imho).

Or you could just get any grammar book and download the kanji pdfs from this site.
toryn

Postby nef919 » Thu 03.17.2005 11:13 am

Personally I would go for seperate books for each. I will not recommend any specific books as its a subjective thing. I will recommend that you supplement the books with some audio if you can. Even better would be to hang with some native speakers though. Books are good to learn from for most people, but movies, music, audio tapes(cd) will help bring it all together IMHO.
Donde la malicia es la pista. Donde el Diablo vive y Dios solo va de visita.
http://nefsrant.blogspot.com/
nef919

Postby Diggity » Thu 03.17.2005 2:13 pm

I got the Genki series and think it is great. I am only through chapter1 of book one but it is easy to understand and getting the audio CD with it is great to get to hear native speakers in conversation and speaking the vocabulary.

They have it divided into 4 parts - Vocabulary/Grammar, and Writing/Listening. The entire book is in kanji after lesson 2 with furigana above the kanji so you can read it. They teach you hiragana lesson 1, katakana lesson 2, then 10-15 kanji every lesson after that.

You can go to http://www.genki-online.com to see some sample pages. They also have online study materials to go with the book as well.

Between the book and this site for community support I think a person can easily take and pass the grade3 JLPT with one year of study, knowing 1100 vocab words and 317 kanji.
Diggity

Return to Japanese General Discussion