Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Translating my name

Translating my name

Do you have a translation question?

Translating my name

Postby omnist » Tue 06.04.2013 5:49 pm

Just a small question. If I were to convert my last name, which is England, into Katakana, would it be Inguran or Igirisu? I personally prefer the latter because it sounds better with my first name, but I was wondering if that would be acceptable or not. This has been bugging me for a while now.

Thanks in advance.
omnist

Native language: English

Re: Translating my name

Postby phreadom » Tue 06.04.2013 9:50 pm

Wikipedia lists a certain someone's last name as イングランド (Ingurando)

I generally find people with the same name on Wikipedia, look for an entry with a Japanese translation, and see how they spell it. Usually they're pretty specific (eg; my name, Justin, is essentially ONLY spelled ジャスティン, but sometimes you can find a few variations on a name depending on pronunciations, regional preferences, etc.)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby Ongakuka » Wed 06.05.2013 3:46 am

It's acceptable to call yourself anything you like (bar vulgar/offensive words) but if you call yourself イギリス people are going to think you mean the country, and that might get annoying. Japanese names might be the same as a location name, but that will almost certainly be a location within the country.
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby omnist » Thu 06.06.2013 5:27 pm

Okay, I guess that's out then. Thanks.

It is really acceptable to call myself anything? I mean, I know that Chinese/Taiwanese people who come to English speaking countries will give themselves English names, and English people who go to China will give themselves Chinese names, but I thought that's only because it's difficult to pronounce. If I were to give myself a Japanese name that's similar to my own, would that be odd?
omnist

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Thu 06.06.2013 6:02 pm

I think you are better off to stick with a katakana name that is some variation of your real name, and ideally isn't exactly the same as any normally used katakana word.

If you select the name dictionary you can search jisho.org to see if the name is known, but not every western name is in the database. Still, for any name that -is- in there you can a common way of converting it to kana.

http://jisho.org/words?jap=&eng=John&dict=enamdic
SomeCallMeChris

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion