Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - confused about kanji pronunciations, please help

confused about kanji pronunciations, please help

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

confused about kanji pronunciations, please help

Postby Livyaahh » Wed 06.05.2013 11:35 am

Hi, I've started learning kanji and I have a question that I can't find the answer to, there are usually many different ways of pronouncing a kanji (I believe they're called the KONs and ONs). And I get that they change depending on what you're trying to say but is it necessary to learn all of the different pronunciations? And also how do you know what pronunciations you use when you see a kanji written in a sentence? I'm so darn confused.
Thanks guys :)
Livyaahh

Native language: English

Re: confused about kanji pronunciations, please help

Postby Shiroisan » Wed 06.05.2013 1:29 pm

You're trying to learn Kanji as if it were just an alphabet; Did you think that if you memorized them all you'd be able to read any word? Unfortunately the usage of a kanji must be memorized word by word by word. Guessing which reading a kanji is is the best you can do when coming across a new word.
Shiroisan

Native language: Eigo

Postby Hektor6766 » Wed 06.05.2013 11:06 pm

kanji readings are a matter of customary usage, and therefore you'll always have exceptions to any rules. usually, kunyomi (kun or native reading) is used for verbs and single character nouns, particularly for things Japanese have long had words for: basic phenomena such as wind, rain, etc. But not always. Generally, onyomi (Chinese reading) are used for compounds, but again, not always. The different onyomi come from the dynastic eras in which they were brought over: The oldest are from the Han dynasty, the ones used most frequently are from the Tang, and still others came over later. They are all used to some extent; so while the Tang reading are more frequently encountered, you'll encounter the others not infrequently. The history and construction of Kanji are interesting, but you'll be better served by reading and absorbing the actual words rather than trying to find rules and standards to rely on.
Hektor6766

Postby Livyaahh » Thu 06.06.2013 5:40 am

Oh okay thank you I think I understand now :)
Livyaahh

Postby ashleywells2417 » Mon 12.02.2013 11:13 am

If you are doubt of your pronunciation,you search it on Google for the correct pronunciation.
ashleywells2417

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems