Trying to translate/understand some lyrics

Postby pikopuyo » Sat 08.24.2013 2:33 pm

Hello all~

I'm trying to understand/translate these lyrics:
一つの幸せに二人で寄り添った
最初の思い出を残せたはずだった
「夢色ハネムーン」楽しくて愛しくて
最後の思い出と知るすべはなかった

I was really confused with the last line because of the 「と知る」. If と is acting as a quoting particle for 知る, I thought that what comes before it must be a sentence, but in this case it's just a noun.
But then I remembered it's a song, and maybe the copula that should supposedly come before と was left out for, I don't know, rhythmic purposes.

After this realisation, I came up with this translation:

We cuddled together in one happiness
I should have been able to leave behind our first memories
A dream-colored honeymoon, enjoyable, lovely
I had no way of knowing those would be our last memories

Besides the last line, I'm still confused about the second line too, because of the double past with はず. Any words on that are appreciated.

This translation makes sense considering the rest of the song, which is about saying goodbye and not being able to see each other again, but I'm not sure about it. Do you think it's an acceptable translation? Or better, do you think I understood what the lyrics are saying?

Thanks in advance!
pikopuyo

Native language: Portuguese

Re: Trying to translate/understand some lyrics

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Sun 08.25.2013 11:01 pm

I think it's all a little awkward to translate into English but that's pretty decent, except for the second line:
最初の思い出を残せたはずだった
「残す」 is to leave behind in a different sense, like leftovers on your plate, an estate to your heirs, your initials in the third row desk, etc.
So the idea here is, 'This should have left me with my first memory'.
The double-past is because the event that 'should' is in the past, and because knowing the actual result was different, the copula is in the past.
お父さんはもう帰ったはずだ -> Father should be home by now.
お父さんはもう帰ったはずだった -> Father should have been home by now (but isn't).
SomeCallMeChris

Native language: English

Postby pikopuyo » Mon 08.26.2013 12:29 am

Thanks for your reply :colonthree:

But I didn't understand your translation for the second line... 'This should have left me with my first memory'
I thought of 「残す」 as "leave behind" in that sense you explained, of going away and leaving something to someone.
But aren't the 'first memories' the thing being left since they are the direct object for 「残す」? And isn't 「残す」 in its potential form?
I believe that the subject in this case is 'I', since the person who is leaving in the song (and therefore could be expressing their regret in not being able to leave something) is the speaker.

Maybe if it was "I should have been able to leave to you our first memories", the sense of 「残す」would be clearer?

And you think the last line is okay then? The copula before 「と」 is indeed missing?
pikopuyo

Native language: Portuguese

Postby SomeCallMeChris » Thu 08.29.2013 12:09 am

pikopuyo wrote:I believe that the subject in this case is 'I', since the person who is leaving in the song (and therefore could be expressing their regret in not being able to leave something) is the speaker.

Well, I don't know the rest of the song, so I can't defend my translation very much and have no idea why you think the point-of-view character is doing the leaving.

I do, however, think that lyrics like 'I should have been able to leave you your first memory of me, but had know way of knowing it would be your last memory of me' are weird, lyrics like 'I should have been left with my first memory of you, but had no way of knowing it would be my last memory of you' make sense to me. The line in question really just says 'first memory should have been remaining'. Who's doing the remembering is a matter of interpretation, but it's odd to talk about someone else's memories in a nostalgic way.

And you think the last line is okay then? The copula before 「と」 is indeed missing?

Absolutely. Omitted copulas happen all over the place, and the line makes no sense as a conditional.
SomeCallMeChris

Native language: English

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion