Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Trying to give a greeting to a Japanese person on 3DS...

Trying to give a greeting to a Japanese person on 3DS...

Do you have a translation question?

Trying to give a greeting to a Japanese person on 3DS...

Postby Kisai » Thu 10.24.2013 7:08 am

I was playing Pokémon X & Y, and to my surprise, thanks to that game, you can actually add people from outside your region to your 3DS friends list. I thought this was pretty cool, and a neat opportunity to make a friend outside my country. Problem is, I don't know Japanese, and I'm not sure if I've got this right.

Hello.
My name is Kisai Sakurai.
I don't know Japanese. Sorry. ;_;
I hope we can still be friends. ^_^
Do you know English?

こんいちは!
あたしわの名前桜井きさいです。
あたしわ日本語わかるませんです。 ごめん。
(I have no idea how to type out this sentence on my own. "Still" implies something might happen in spite of something else, and I don't know Japanese grammar that well, nor would I know the proper word order.)
あなたわ英語わかるですか?

How much of my message did I butcher?
Kisai

Native language: English

Re: Trying to give a greeting to a Japanese person on 3DS...

Postby Ongakuka » Thu 10.24.2013 7:40 am

Don't worry, it still makes sense, just grammatical/spelling errors. Some people may not want to speak English because they aren't confident, but some people will be glad to use English. It's worth brushing up on Japanese though!

こんいちは > こんにちは

あたしわ > あたし (The subject marker is pronounced 'wa' but spelt 'ha')

わかるません > わかりません (Verbs do not take 'desu.' Just end with '- masen'

英語わかるですか > 英語わかりますか

Good job though ^_^ try using the resources on this site to get used to grammar stuff
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Kisai » Thu 10.24.2013 8:02 am

Well, I'm not really trying to... you know, ask them to write English. ^^;; Just a question out of curiosity. Okay, well, maybe asking them to write English a little...

Ongakuka wrote:こんいちは > こんにちは

I dunno how I messed that up. Must not have been paying attention.

あたしわ > あたし (The subject marker is pronounced 'wa' but spelt 'ha')

Wait, what?? I thought the whole "being-pronounced-'wa'-but-being-spelled-'ha'" thing was just for "konnichiwa". I had no idea that was for the subject marker too. o_O

わかるません > わかりません (Verbs do not take 'desu.' Just end with '- masen'

Huh. No "desu" with verbs. Got it.

Also, to my credit on that one, I kept seeing "I don't SPEAK Japanese" when I kept searching for it. I noticed the usage of "masen", and searched that word here, finding out that "masen" means a negative. Then I opened up my dictionary, found the word for "understand", and figured I could throw the two together to have a more accurate "I don't know Japanese."

英語わかるですか > 英語わかりますか

Thanks. ^_^;

Good job though ^_^ try using the resources on this site to get used to grammar stuff

Thanks. ^^ I would, but every time I dip my toes in Japanese, I get overwhelmed by all the grammatical details and vocabulary, and characters I STILL don't know by heart, and just give up. ;_; I'm like, "What am I doing?! I'll never be able to communicate in Japanese!" and abandon ship.

Oh, one last thing, though... How WOULD I say, "I hope we can still be friends"?
Kisai

Postby Ongakuka » Thu 10.24.2013 8:58 am

I would, but every time I dip my toes in Japanese, I get overwhelmed by all the grammatical details and vocabulary, and characters I STILL don't know by heart, and just give up. ;_; I'm like, "What am I doing?! I'll never be able to communicate in Japanese!" and abandon ship.

The way it works is, you keep dabbling your toes in it everyday, and you'll find it extremely pleasurable how everything comes together over time. If you like the idea of communicating in Japanese, you should go for it; it does take a lot of patience and effort but so does anything that's worth doing.

Oh, one last thing, though... How WOULD I say, "I hope we can still be friends"?

I woudl say something like 友達でいられるとうれしいです
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Postby Kisai » Thu 10.24.2013 9:15 am

Ongakuka wrote:
I would, but every time I dip my toes in Japanese, I get overwhelmed by all the grammatical details and vocabulary, and characters I STILL don't know by heart, and just give up. ;_; I'm like, "What am I doing?! I'll never be able to communicate in Japanese!" and abandon ship.

The way it works is, you keep dabbling your toes in it everyday, and you'll find it extremely pleasurable how everything comes together over time. If you like the idea of communicating in Japanese, you should go for it; it does take a lot of patience and effort but so does anything that's worth doing.

I woudl say something like 友達でいられるとうれしいです

I generally like figuring out what certain parts of sentences mean to try and get some idea of how all the words work together, and what they're saying specifically, but all I can figure out is "tomodachi", which means "friends". The rest, I have no idea. "de i ra wa ru"... No clue. @_@; I do see "desu" at the end... Anyway, thanks. ^_^
Kisai

Postby Ongakuka » Thu 10.24.2013 9:25 am

で=Continuing form of です Eg.私の名前は佐藤で、日本人です

いられる=Potenial form of いる (to be.) In other words, 'can be'

と= Conditional ('if, in that case')

うれしい=Happy

I'm not Japanese so it might not be the best way to say what you want but it should make sense. I didn't use the word 'hope' because we don't always use it in the same way as in Japanese.

I think you have the right kind of mind for learning languages. Don't give up! :D
なぜなら、おまえは・・・・・・人形だ
Ongakuka

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion