Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Just starting to learn.

Just starting to learn.

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Just starting to learn.

Postby shikitohno » Mon 01.02.2006 2:39 am

I bought Japanese for Busy People Volume 1, and it does a something which confused me. Here's the sample sentence.
こちらとうきょうでんきのやまださんです。
The book says this means, "This is Mr. Yamada, of Tokyo Electric. The thing I was confused about was how they spelt Tokyo. I'm sure I'll probably see it in Kanji more than hiragana the more I learn, but I don't want to learn something incorrectly at all. I thought it was spelt ときょ. Is this just as correct as とうきょう? Or would it be wrong?

On a seperate note, It also said that ん is sometimes pronounced nasal, and sounds kind of like 'm.' Does anyone have a mnemonic that would help me? Or is it just like an 'm,' or similar enough that it would be intelligible?
ありがと。
shikitohno

RE: Just starting to learn.

Postby Beau » Mon 01.02.2006 3:15 am

This is a tricky one, so don't take what I'm saying to be 100% correct, these are just my thoughts on the matter.

"Tokyo" is the Enlgish spelling of Toukyou. If you're writing English, then Tokyo is fine. If you're writing Japanese, then it's toukyou in roomaji, とうきょう in hiragana, and 東京 in kanji.
由っちゃん に よって る で。。。
由香理、何時も一緒に いたいわ。

相 縁 機 縁
相 思 相 愛
Beau

Postby clay » Mon 01.02.2006 3:32 am

That is correct. You have to watch these extra vowels.

東京 is tou kyou
京都 is kyoU to

Also Arigatou also has a う −> ありがとう

It is tricky at first, but after a while you either learn them or can hear the longer sounds . If you take the JLPt, you will definitely be quizzed on this!

Clay
clay
Site Admin

Postby Infidel » Mon 01.02.2006 4:11 am

people who use official hepburn or kunrei romanization would properly spell tokyo, tôkyô or tōkyō respectively. Since diacritical marks are a pain to make, most people just use standard vowels. For the reason even "official" spellings are incorrect; therfore, I would suggest not refering to romanized spellings as pronunciation guides.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Infidel » Mon 01.02.2006 4:17 am

shikitohno wrote:

On a seperate note, It also said that ん is sometimes pronounced nasal, and sounds kind of like 'm.' Does anyone have a mnemonic that would help me? Or is it just like an 'm,' or similar enough that it would be intelligible?
ありがと。

'n is pronounced 'm' when before m,b, or p. Thus, Kanpai = kampai; senpai = sempai; shinbun = shimbun; konbanwa = kombanwa; I can't think of an n'm combination at the moment. This is of course when within a word. If the n' is at the end of a word and the beginning of the next word is m,b, or p. Then they are pronounced normally.
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby shikitohno » Mon 01.02.2006 7:38 pm

Alright. I suppose I'll have to learn it, as my only really viable source of spoken Japanese is in fansubs. Thanks for the help though.
shikitohno

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)