Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - torque induction

torque induction

Do you have a translation question?

torque induction

Postby ilanidrac » Fri 01.31.2014 12:04 am

Hi guys. I had an account here at one point but for the life of me I can't remember it. I have what I hope is a quick easy question. I need to translate the phrase "torque induction" into Katakana.
I tried figuring it out but got two results that I think one of the two is correct for.

トルク・インダクション
Or
トーク・インダクション

Any advice on which is correct, or if neither are what would be correct? Its important that it is correct though lol.
ilanidrac

Native language: english

Re: torque induction

Postby richvh » Fri 01.31.2014 10:47 am

Torque is トルク. Despite having a technical background, I haven't the foggiest idea what torque induction is, and induction has a number of meanings (none of which have a standard katakana version; rather, they all have separate native Japanese words associated with them.) At a guess, and looking over various Eijiro entries on ALC, I'd say it would be トルク誘導.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby ilanidrac » Fri 01.31.2014 12:41 pm

richvh wrote:Torque is トルク. Despite having a technical background, I haven't the foggiest idea what torque induction is, and induction has a number of meanings (none of which have a standard Katakana version; rather, they all have separate native Japanese words associated with them.) At a guess, and looking over various Eijiro entries on ALC, I'd say it would be トルク誘導.

I don't think anyone knows what it means. It was what I would say an embellished term that Yamaha came up with for their RD350s in the 70s (unless it does mean something, but I haven't really looked into the tech term itself. Here is a pic of the English on the bike:

http://stblogs.motorcyclistonline.com/f ... 23x415.jpg

I figured Katakana would fill the space better and look more 'original' as the bike is getting repainted with a more Japanese feel to it, plus no real meaning could be construed the wrong way if that makes sense.

Would the Katakana I put up be correct in that sense at least (phonetically I guess)?

EDIT: Torque Induction is apparently just what Yamaha called their Reed Valve intake system, if anyone was curious.
ilanidrac

Postby richvh » Fri 01.31.2014 3:28 pm

インダクション looks like the best katakana transliteration of induction (even comes up as first choice in the IME), or you could use ゆうどう, the hiragana version of 誘導.

I wonder what Yamaha used on its domestic bikes using the reed valve intake system?
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby richvh » Fri 01.31.2014 5:25 pm

I found several Japanese web pages talking about トルクインダクション or 7ポートトルクインダクションエンジン, either about 2 stroke engines in general, or about 1970s era Yamaha bikes.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby ilanidrac » Fri 01.31.2014 7:17 pm

richvh wrote:I found several Japanese web pages talking about トルクインダクション or 7ポートトルクインダクションエンジン, either about 2 stroke engines in general, or about 1970s era Yamaha bikes.

Yup. Looks like I will go with that. I didn't even think about trying to just google the Katakana. Thank you very much guys! When the bike is done I will try to post a pic of it.
ilanidrac

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion