Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Any contemporary litterature books?

Any contemporary litterature books?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Any contemporary litterature books?

Postby Minini » Tue 11.22.2005 11:04 pm

Hi ^^
I would like to know if anybody knows some good novel titles of Japanese contemporary litterature?

I've been reading a novel by Keiichi Shigasawa lately, and it's awsome. Kino no tabi.

I want more to read!

Thanks ^^
Minini

RE: Any contemporary litterature books?

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 11.22.2005 11:17 pm

I don't know if these first three are available in english, but they've won a number of awards in Japan.
Snakes and Earings
けりたい背中
Ash Baby

These are in english, and are good, but rather weird. Worth a look.
Wild Sheep Chase
Coin Locker Babies
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Minini » Tue 11.22.2005 11:22 pm

Thanks a lot! ^^ Japanese is fine (thanks to Mr. Kanji Dictionnary O_o). A good novel is also a nice motivation to learn new kanji!
Minini

Postby Strawberry_Juice » Sat 12.24.2005 1:40 am

Eight Million Gods and Demons is a very interesting piece of historical fiction.
You've got to get used to the style it's written in, though. Can be pretty tedious to get through, but it's worth it. ;)
Strawberry_Juice

Postby Kates » Tue 01.03.2006 8:38 am

A friend recommended I read "Norweigan Wood" (ノルウェイの森) by Murakami Haruki (村上 春樹) (who is a very well-known author). I found a few copies, in both English and Japanese, in my local college, which offers Japanese classes. A good friend also highly recommended "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles" (ねじまき鳥クロニクル) to me... but I have yet to read any of his work. ):

I also heard that a novel, which is now a manga, "Socrates in Love" was really, really popular in Japan. I found a copy of the translated manga, but haven't gone looking for the Japanese novel yet. I was written by Katayama Kyoichi (片山 恭一 ). The title is "世界の中心で、愛をさけぶ" in Japanese.
Kates

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 01.03.2006 9:44 am

I just read one of Murakami Haruki's young-adult books called "Sheep man's Christmas" 羊男のクリスマス. It was rather cute, and a quick read (100 pages, about a third of which are pictures). I need to get more of his stuff. His writing style is (from what I've seen) very clear and easy to understand. Which is bizzare, because the English versions of his books are often really freaking difficult to understand, with strange turns of phrases and such.

next on my plate is ダレカガナカニイル (someone's inside me), a mystery thriller by 井上夢人. Looking forward to that... except for the fact that it:s 700 pages long. :/

DId they make a manga out of sekichuu? I knew they had a drama, as well as a movie (that made me cry like a baby). If you want to read a tear-jerker, pick up the book. If it's half as good as the movie, you'll be bawling.
Last edited by Harisenbon on Tue 01.03.2006 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Kates » Sun 01.08.2006 10:22 am

Yup, there's a manga--I picked it up when I was in Chicago. I haven't sat down to read it, but I flipped through it. I really like the style of the art, though it can be a little too 'shoujo' at times. The mangaka was 一井かずみ and it was published by Flower. And, as I said, I found a translated copy in a store one day, but since I have the Japanese version, I didn't bother buying it.

Maybe I'll go looking for some of Murakami's books... (:
Kates

Postby hcp » Sun 01.08.2006 10:35 am

I liked 星への旅 by 吉村・昭 but i thought it was quite hard to read, at least for me. I'm now reading とかげ by 吉本ばなな which I think is much easier to read but the first mentioned is in my opinion more interestng
hcp

Postby skrhgh3b » Sun 01.08.2006 6:43 pm

I'm going to wait until I can read Japanese with fluency until I dig into Ryu Murakami and the like because I want to enjoy them in the original language - but ugh, that's still a couple of years in the offing.
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪
skrhgh3b

Postby AJBryant » Sun 01.08.2006 8:41 pm

Just about any novel incorporating the phrase "(XYZ) satsujin jiken" ("[XYZ] Murder Incident") is guaranteed to be a quick, brainless read -- fairly basic Japanese, intended to while away trainrides. They are usually shortish potboilers. As a rule, they're not too hard to read. Sometimes they're even good.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan