Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - hajimemashite i'm new here

hajimemashite i'm new here

New members may introduce themselves in this forum

hajimemashite i'm new here

Postby ureshii » Wed 01.04.2006 9:00 am

hi everybody i've bee studying japanese for about 9 months now and luckily found this page which is very amazing
i just got the book 501 japanese verbs and in the conjugation table is like this

indicative
imperative
presumptive
provisional
gerund
past indicative
past presumptive
conditional
alternative
passive
potential
causative
causative pass
honorific
humble

do i have to memorize all this forms or should i give priority to some of them
i would appreciate your help
jaa mata
ureshii

RE: hajimemashite i'm new here

Postby ymlover » Wed 01.04.2006 9:05 am

Hey I'm new to this place too! I think what you should do is just study what you want, but the best is to talk with a japanese person and learn japanese like that. That's how I learned, well actually I had to move to Japan...
ymlover

Postby SaigoNoBan » Wed 01.04.2006 10:17 am

こんにちはみんあさん。

Although I started studying Japanese less than two months ago, I tend to give an absolute priority to grammar when studying a foreign language (and I think it has worked so far with the other languages I have learned). And while I certainly agree that moving to a country is the best way to learn its language, not everyone can (or wants to) move to Japan...

IMHO, first of all, you may just as well forget about the complicated names of the various forms if they are confusing you. I think it's much easier to say, for example, 'Dictionary form', 'て-form', and 'ます-form' instead.

These, by the way, were the very first I learned. Once you know how to build these, you can build all the other forms just by appending a particular ending. As to the order in which to learn the other forms, I suppose it depends on what you are learning Japanese for. For example, the imperative will be of no use for conversation with Japanese people (it is just too impolite to say) but it's essential for reading manga (heavily used in fights and/or by tough guys. They just keep yelling, "とれ!" all the time while socking each other).

I found these sites extremely useful in learning grammar basics. Perhaps your book will make more sense to you after looking at these...

http://www.sf.airnet.ne.jp/~ts/japanese/ (section 7.3 "Verbs" )
http://www.guidetojapanese.org/index.html#contents
And of course Clay's Grammar Section here on TJP...

Anyway, welcome to the site, and have fun!
Last edited by SaigoNoBan on Wed 01.04.2006 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
とうとう戻ってきました!^_^ お待たせしました
SaigoNoBan

Postby Daisuke » Wed 01.04.2006 1:20 pm

Wrong section...

But welcome.. ;)
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby Zeo » Wed 01.04.2006 4:41 pm

Welcome to this site:)
Zeo

Native language: Norwegian

Postby ShinDig » Wed 01.04.2006 6:18 pm

hajimemashite :D
ShinDig

Postby Sachi » Wed 01.04.2006 6:29 pm

Hajimemashite and welcome to the site ^^ I agree that grammar should be your top priority, so probably go with the most common conjugations first, and then onto the lesser used. All should eventually be learned though. But that's just my way of seeing it ;)
Sachi

Return to Introductions