Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Your Name In Kanji

Your Name In Kanji

Do you have a translation question?

Your Name In Kanji

Postby dreamingxashley » Fri 03.18.2005 8:35 pm

Hi

The other night I got bored and tried to figure out how to write my name in Kanji. My friends tell me Ashley is translated into Ashuri. So I looked up the kanji for A Shu and Ri. My problems are with Shu and Ri, since there is only one Kanji for A, which means next/sub-/asia, I had no problems there... However, Shu has 14 different Kanji all meaning something different (of course), and theres also Shuu (u with the - over it), and Ri has 8 different Kanji.

So, is there special rules for which Kanji youre supposed to use? Do I just pick the Kanji I want so it will mean something nice, or intelligible atleast? I played pick and choose for about two hours, and I found you really cant do anything with "A" unless you wanted to for "Essentially Sub-Rational" hehe.

Thanks in advance for the help.
--Ashley
dreamingxashley

RE: Your Name In Kanji

Postby Diggity » Fri 03.18.2005 9:46 pm

I believe that since you are a foreigner you wouldn't use kanji for your name... strictly katakana.
Diggity

Postby dreamingxashley » Fri 03.18.2005 10:08 pm

Hmmm... that is also possible. But if thats so, then thats only according to the rules... I dont see why one couldnt write their name in Kanji.
--Ashley
dreamingxashley

Postby toryn » Fri 03.18.2005 11:38 pm

dreamingxashley wrote:
Hmmm... that is also possible. But if thats so, then thats only according to the rules... I dont see why one couldnt write their name in Kanji.

If you want to make up your own kanji name, I suppose, but I'd stick to katakana for everyday use. I think it would get confusing for people if you started using a kanji name. :)
toryn

Postby dreamingxashley » Sat 03.19.2005 12:06 am

Well like I said, it was just a boredom thing. So yeah it would just be fun thing to have.
--Ashley
dreamingxashley

Postby hihlordjp » Sat 03.19.2005 12:11 am

Actually, you can use kanji for your name. You can pick three with the individual readings "a", "shu" and "ri" and put them together.

The following combinations don't mean much as a whole, but they are both kanji representations of the name "Maria". When you use kanji combinations for what they sound instead of what they mean, it's called "ate-ji" (当て字)

麻里安
万梨阿

So, yes, it can actually be done. It isn't advised for foreign names, though. But I think it'll work pretty well in your case since the syllables in "ashuri" appear in Japanese.

As for the original poster's question, it depends on many factors. It's up to you to choose the kanji you want. There is no fixed rule.
Last edited by hihlordjp on Sat 03.19.2005 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
俺様は何時か此の地球の帝王に成るぞ!
...ジョウダンだよ。ヘヘ ^^;;

「君という光が私を見つける // 真夜中に」-- 「光」という歌より(歌手:宇多田ヒカル)
hihlordjp

Postby Opgots » Sat 03.19.2005 12:13 am

The Kanji of what to use is really the parents choice of use I guess. The family or last name would already be there whenst you are born. Thus its all ready predetermined.

Being a foreigner, your name would be in katakana.

If you insist on using Kanji, just use which kanji you'd like your name to mean when written.

if A-Shu-Ri, all come out to something intelligible somehow with the Kanji, use whichever you'd like your name to mean. Kanji with foreigners isnt hard at all.
-------------
Nemuritai...

The pleasure of a dream is in its fantasy. If it ever comes true, it was never a dream.
Opgots

Postby dreamingxashley » Sat 03.19.2005 12:20 am

Thankyou SO much for the responses! I kinda figured it was the "pick your own kanji" sorta thing, but I wanted to make sure. ^^
--Ashley
dreamingxashley

RE: RE: Your name in Kanji

Postby FantasyGuardian7 » Sat 03.19.2005 2:08 am

i'm wondering if anyone is willing to tell me. what is Dan in kanji. i have never heard of it translated before. can someone plz help me out???
FantasyGuardian7

Postby Diggity » Sat 03.19.2005 2:17 am

watashi no namae wa Dan desu! I was just going to use ダン。
Diggity

Postby Jobo » Sat 03.19.2005 2:29 am

Isn't one of the readings for "男" "DAN"? Sorry if I'm wrong, I haven't learned my kanji readings yet. Still, I think it'd be cool to have you name be, "Man" :D
Waiting for October
Cross my fingers
Cross my heart
And hope to die.
Jobo

Postby Darbai » Sat 03.19.2005 6:51 am

Ashley, I found this great page where you can look up your names in japanese, Don't know if it is always correct but always fun to have some facts. Just the name Ashley didn't have a kanji in this page but still meant Ash Grove.
[url]
http://www.takase.com/Names/NameInJapanese.htm[/url]

This is the page by the way, check it out guys!
What what!? Where am I? Oh, I\'m sleeping again!
Darbai

Postby dreamingxashley » Sat 03.19.2005 3:44 pm

Youre awesome Darbai! *hugs* Ashuri doesnt have any kanji listed there, youre right, but my middle name, Anne, does. ^^ So my name in japanese would be Ashuri Shinkei... according to that site... O.o
--Ashley
dreamingxashley

Postby dreamingxashley » Sat 03.19.2005 7:22 pm

Well thanks to someone prompting me to think of looking up my names meaning, I have this...

And I used the monash site's kanji lookup to get the specific kanji. ^^

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/jwb/wwwjdic?1B
Last edited by dreamingxashley on Sat 03.19.2005 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Ashley
dreamingxashley

Postby Darbai » Sat 03.19.2005 8:31 pm

Oh nice! Now it is I that have to be grateful :D This page is really great but a little troublesome at the first use!
Good, more sources for names is always good if you want it correct!
What what!? Where am I? Oh, I\'m sleeping again!
Darbai

Return to Translation Questions or Discussion